TEN

"Mara, you don't need to worry about me," I mutter, pushing my hair out of my face

"Mara, you don't need to worry about me," I mutter, pushing my hair out of my face. "You suffered through something horrible and went straight back to work like it didn't happen," Mara replies, looking at me with pity.

Pity. I hate it when people look at me with pity. 

"It happened, I know it happened, and me pondering over it won't change what happened," I  mutter, and opened the desk drawer where I kept my file folders before pulling one out and placing it in my lap.

"You can't blame me for worrying about you,"

Mara is like a sister to me, but I don't want her to worry or get attached to me. I can't stay long. The longer I stay, the greater the risk that people will find out that I'm different, immortal. Mara is the kindest girl I have ever met, and the more attached she gets, the more it will devastate her when I leave.

"I am your boss, Mara. Not your friend. Do not worry about me." I grit out. Mara's eyes widen in shock at my comment. She stares back at me before sighing and shaking her head. "You're right, I'm sorry," Mara mumbles, grabbing her bag and leaving the room.

It's better for her to hate me. Her hating me will eventually make leaving easier.

"Ms. Zoride," I hear a deep voice grumble as a man walks into my office. The man stands at about 6'1.

"I'm sorry. Who are you?"

"I'm Christian De Clermont. I contacted your assistant earlier this week." He says, smiling at me as he walks over to my desk.

I don't remember having any meetings with Christian De Clermont, but then again, things have been crazy lately.

"I'm sorry, things have been... hectic recently. Are you interested in a partnership?"

"Yes, of course. I heard one of your partners who brought great things to your fashion line and your business partner, unfortunately, disappeared. I thought, why not? You are a great deal here, and I would be a great asset to you." He says, taking a seat in front of me.

Something is off. The way he's talking and his body language is off. Something isn't right.

"I don't know about that. Frankly, I've never heard of you, and I do not need any business help. I will be sure to contact you if I need more business partners," I say, narrowing my eyes at him.

Something switched in his eyes. He didn't have that happiness and courage he first had - it had turned into darkness and anger.

He stared blankly at me for a moment before glancing down at his knuckles and then back up at me. "hm, that's a shame. I was hoping to work for you," There is a hint of mockery in his voice. Behind that mockery, though, is a threatening tone.

"It was a pleasure meeting you, Christian, but I think it's time we ended this meeting," I mutter, trying my darnedest, to hide my uncertainty.

He stands from his chair, stopping to stare down at me.

"What's going on in here?" Kane asks as he walks into my office, staring at Christian.

At this point, it wasn't staring; he was glaring.

"It's nice to see you again, Kane, " Christian spits out, keeping his eyes on me. Kane's jaw clenches as he stares down at Christian.

I wonder how they know each other.

"I hope we can eventually work together, Rena." The way  Christian said my name made me feel uncomfortable. He smiled at me once more before walking out of the room. Kane stared at Christian until he walked out of the room.

"Rena, promise me you will stay away from Christian," Kane says, walking closer. "Is there something you're not telling me?" I asked, ignoring his question.

"Rena, trust me when I say this Christian is not a good person,"

I stare up at him for a second before sighing in defeat. "fine," I mutter

I'm determined to figure out why Kane doesn't like Christian.