ONE

Do you, Kane Delacroix, take Rosie Smith to be your wife, to live together in holy matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, and to keep her in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" I hear t...

Do you, Kane Delacroix, take Rosie Smith to be your wife, to live together in holy matrimony, to love her, to honor her, to comfort her, and to keep her in sickness and in health, forsaking all others, for as long as you both shall live?" I hear the Notary say.

" I do," he responds as he smiles at his bride.

The Notary then turns to Rosie and repeats the same question. Rosie nods, her eyes twinkling with happiness. "I do." She says clearly, her voice full of joy.

They seal their promise with a kiss and turn to face the giant crowd of family and friends.

I stand behind the tree as I watch the love of my life get married to another woman. Tears well in my eyes, and I feel heartbroken.

I was supposed to be the one he married, but since the beginning of time, I was cursed with immortality.

I had never fallen in love before until I laid eyes on him. Those ocean-blue eyes sucked me in like a black hole, and his hoarse yet soft voice was like a melody to me, and I wanted to hear more of it.

He was the first man to show me what genuine love is, and maybe that is why I can never stop loving him. I was so deprived of love that I fell in love with the first man who showed me love.

He made me want more. I needed more, but I knew I couldn't have him. I tried to forget about him, but I couldn't. We started dating, and I fell in love. I knew he would grow old and die, and I wouldn't. I would have to watch the man I loved die, and I could not do that.

What I did not know was that nothing would ever compare to the pain I felt when I left Kane, or the pain I feel as I stand here and watch him fall in love with another woman and marry her. It's as if my heart is breaking all over again.

For a while, I watched him. So I could feel like I was with him. It helped until Rose showed up.

He will always be the love of my life, but I will never be his.

I let out a strangled breath, glancing at him once more before I began my walk back to my car. A calloused hand pulls me back. "Friend of the bride or groom?" The man asks, turning me to face him.

I pause for a moment, taking in the sight of him.

"Groom," I whispered, looking down. "My name is Christian," he says, smiling at me.

"It's good to meet you, but I have to go," I replied, feeling a wave of emotions washed over me.

Christian nods and gently squeezes my hand as he steps away. "Have a good rest of your day," he murmurs before disappearing into the crowd.

I blink back the tears in my eyes as I take one glance at Kane before getting into my car and driving away.

I woke up gasping for breath at the memory of that day. That day was the day I watched him smile at another woman in his arms. I wept for hours after watching him marry another woman.

I used to be known as Raven Zorbide, but now I am Rena Zorbide. Every ten years, I become a new person, and I can't risk people finding out about the true me. Every couple of decades, I use my real last name.

As Rena Zorbide, I am the CEO of a fashion company, and unfortunately, my assistant thought it was a grand idea to host a gala.

So here I am, standing in front of my mirror, wearing a carefully tailored black dress to fit my body perfectly. I step away from the mirror and take a deep breath as I prepare myself for the night ahead.

I walk into the ballroom to find it already bustling with people.

I stand in the shadows, watching my guests mingle, drink, and dance. They all looked so happy, dancing so peacefully. One man, in particular, caught my eye. He had a strong jawline and piercing blue eyes, just like Kane. He is identical to Kane.

That's impossible. It has been three centuries. Kane can't be alive.

My heart started racing when he began walking toward me.

I must be seeing things.

I gulp as he gets closer and closer. I turn around, running through the corridors and stairs until I reach the door to my bedroom.

I let out a shaky breath, trying to calm my nerves.

How does he look like Kane?

"Mon ange, is that you?" That voice is just like Kane, with the same roughness.

It is impossible. Kane is dead. He has to be dead.

I take a deep breath, gripping my shaky hand. "I'm sorry. Do I know you?" I ask, turning to face him. His eyes dart over my body, then snap to my face. "No, I'm sorry. I just thought you were someone I once knew," he murmurs.

"But please let me formally introduce myself. I'm Kane Delacroix," he says, offering me his hand to shake.

It has to be impossible. It's been 300 years, and he's still alive.

"It's nice to meet you. I'm Rena Zorbide," I say, placing my hand in his. He grips my hand, leaning down and bringing my hand to his mouth. Keeping eye contact, he kisses my hand softly before letting it fall. "It is a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Zorbide."

Butterflies flutter in my stomach, just as they did when I first met him.

"If you would excuse me, I have somewhere to be," I say, turning to leave. "What kind of host leaves their gala?" he asks. I looked down at the floor, letting out a small laugh before turning around. "The kind that isn't having fun,"

"Come dance with me. I am sure I could give you a grand time." He suggests as he tilts his head while smiling.

"Maybe another time. Right now, I have to leave." I offer the biggest smile I can muster. He lets out a sigh before putting a smile back on his face.

" I will hold you to that," he declares before walking away.

I walk into my bedroom, locking the door. I lean against the door, sliding down it.

I let out a deep sigh.

After three fucking centuries, Kane is still alive.