CHAPTER 25: THE NIGHT THE CITY BURNED

(Y/N's POV)
Wednesday, was the third day of my internship. Officially ending the following Sunday, my adventure was almost cut short after the incident that took place in Hosu.

I woke up early that day and as usual, Mr. Krueger was already preparing breakfast which consisted on raisin bread and coffee. We ate in silence and then I was told to gear up.

Once we got to the O.W Agency we were greeted with a change of plans. That night, many heroes from the agency were going to be deployed to Hosu city. This was done in an attempt to help the local heroes in their hunt for The Hero Killer Stain -the man that permanently injured Tenya's brother. It was rumored that he had been spotted several times in Hosu. So we were told that, that night we were to get into the train that would take us to the city, along several other heroes.

My training was therefore, cut short. Instead of my usual 10 km run I did a 5 km one. Instead of the full exercise routine, I did half. All of this to give me enough time to do the Titan training completely. In Mr. Krueger's words: "It is your top priority and I won't let a shit villain fuck it up".
.
.
.

(3rd PERSON POV)
"You're doing it wrong Y/n." The man sighed as he watched the girl struggle.

"I don't get it." She said exasperatedly. "What am I not doing correctly?"

[!!!]

"Your transformation." He pointed at her forearm, which was bleeding profusely. "There's no way in hell you'll get a polished titan without a clean cut." It was true. Her cut, which had started straight had ended up moving upwards and curving at the end. The blood poured out quicker from the straight part as it went in deeper into her skin. She winced as the blood began to evaporate, she would have to repeat the process again, and it would leave another scar.

[!!!]

He then commented. "Who taught you how to do it like that? Its atrocious."

"Marley?" She replied, now focusing her energy into healing her wound with as little pain as possible. "Everyone does it this way, it's quicker."

"It may be quicker, but its also stupid." He grabbed the knife out of her hands. "In Marley they they act like savages. Don't care about the well-being of their people." He had an angry expression on his face. "Besides, it's impractical." He commented after noticing her initial struggle to start the cut.
The girl had been hesitant to begin and had only performed the cut when Mr. Krueger yelled at her.

"We were subjects of Ymir." She looked at the balde. "No one had a reason to care." Her eyes seemed to look back at her and, for a second, she thought she saw pain within them.

"That doesn't give them the right..." The man began to raise his voice, he was getting angry. "TO TORTURE INNOCENT CHILDREN."
Y/n covered her ears, she hated shouting. That was the main reason why she avoided people like Bakugo and occasionally Ashido. They were people who were loud but didn't mean it in a harmful way, so she at least made an effort.

She began to scream, which made him slightly stop his own. "They were my famlily!" Her eyes welled up with tears that threatened to spill. Tears meant weakness. "They were there when I had nobody else!" Mr. Krueger couldn't believe what he was hearing. "I was alone!"

"YOU WERE A CHILD Y/N." Mr. Krueger took Y/n by the arms and shook her, all in an attempt to make her understand. "YOU WERE TEN FOR GOD'S SAKE!" By that point he too, had tears in his eyes. "WHAT SORT OF FAMILY DRIVES THEIR KIDS TO MADNESS? WHAT SORT OF FAMILY MAKES THEIR KIDS HATE WATER????"
She looked at him, shocked. It was her family. It didn't matter. Marley before all, she had been told. Although it sounded more like, family over own in her memories.
"WHAT EVIL COULD YOU HAVE POSSIBLY DONE?!!?" Nothing. Y/n had done nothing. She had done no harm to anyone, she was just unlucky. "AFTER EVERYTHING THEY'VE DONE TO YOU... YOU STILL DEFEND THEM!!!" Mr. Krueger never meant to harm Y/n. Over the years he had developed an inexplicable fondness for the girl, even if she was never truly able to rely on him.