Missin' the Mission

The next day, Adam, Bree, Chase, Mr. Davenport, and I walk into the lab, cheering after completing another mission. "Great work. Flawless execution. Now that is how you lead a mission." Mr. Davenport says.

"Why, thank you," Chase says.

"I was talking about me. But every Olympic podium needs a bronze and a silver." Mr. Davenport says.

"Whoo-hoo! I medaled." Adam shouts. He accidentally sends Mr. Davenport flying across the room with his super strength.

"Don't look at us. You're the one that gave super strength to a box of rocks." Bree says. Leo walks into the lab and steps over Mr. Davenport.

"Hey, guys. How'd the mission go?" Leo asks.

"Great. We fixed the Pentagon's communication satellite and returned it to orbit." I say.

"I even rigged it so we get every TV channel in the world! Who wants to watch Guatemalan drag racing?!" Chase says.

"Did my suggestions come in handy on the mission?" Leo asks.

"What suggestions?" I ask.

"I did a ton of strategic research and gave it to Big D," Leo says as he walks over to Mr. Davenport, who was no longer on the ground.

"Oh, right. I'm sorry, Leo, I didn't have time to use it." Mr. Davenport says.

"Yes, you did. You spilled your coffee and used Leo's research to mop it up." Adam says.

"You used my suggestions as a sponge?" Leo asks Mr. Davenport.

"More like a paper towel." Mr. Davenport says. "But it was very absorbent. Why don't you guys go clear out the rest of your gear." Adam, Bree, Chase, and I leave the lab.

"We need to talk," Leo says. "I'm done being the water boy. I wanna be a part of the team."

"Leo, I told you, you can't be part of the team. You're not bionic." Mr. Davenport says. "And besides, statistics show that most accidents happen within a three-mile radius of you." He walks over to his cyber desk.

"But I've grown. I've matured. I wear medium now." Leo said proudly, leaning on the counter. "Look, I know I can't go on missions, but I can help you in other ways. You keep ignoring me!"

Mr. Davenport looks up from the cyber desk. "Hmm? I'm sorry. You know what? Maybe there is a way you can help out around here."

"Finally. Thank you." Leo says.

"Here." Mr. Davenport says. He pulls out a stack of papers and puts them on the console. "You can type up the mission summary reports."

"You want me to be your secretary?" Leo asks Mr. Davenport.

"No. Secretaries get paid. You'd be doing this for free." Mr. Davenport says.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

At school, Adam, Bree, Chase, Leo, and I were laughing as we walked down the stairs. "Not so fast!" Perry shouts over the bullhorn at the top of the stairs. We all groan as she walked down the stairs. "You four missed school yesterday...not that I didn't enjoy it. But it's been happening way too much lately. Look at this attendance report." She holds up a clipboard with our attendance records.

"You still keep paper records?" Chase asks Perry. "You know, we have computers now...also indoor plumbing and fire."

"Do you really wanna poke the bear?" Perry asks Chase.

"Do you really wanna use that analogy?" Leo asks.

"Shut it, Dooley! I've been working out. Don't make me flex my guns." Perry says. "You four are in big trouble."