Parallel Universe

"Inventing the wheel? Boring. Discovering electricity? Snooze. Sliced bread? Lame. But now, Davenport Industries introduces the world's first...proton fuser!" Mr. Davenport says as he shows us his newest invention in the lab. They were two sideway cones on sticks, and they were both on carts.

"You know, for a scientist, you'd think your payoffs would be a bit more proportionate to your buildups," Leo says. I nodded my head in agreement.

"Uh, the payoff is that it allows us to see the origins of the universe." Mr. Davenport says. "This thing fuses sub-atomic particles, so we can understand how planets form."

"Well, we already understand how boredom forms," Bree says.

"Haven't you ever wondered where stuff comes from? Galaxies? Stars? Planets?" Mr. Davenport asks.

"This stuff, no. Onion rings, yes." Adam says.

"Guys, I have always wanted to build this thing, and now it's a reality. It's an important life lesson: if you have a dream, believe in it, 'cause it can happen." Mr. Davenport says.

"Well, this is boring. I'm gonna go play some video games." I say. Before I could leave the lab, Chase grabbed my arm and stopped me.

"Um, Mr. Davenport, isn't it dangerous to tinker with the fabric of the universe?" Chase asks.

"He said tinker." Adam laughs.

"Yes, technically, it could destabilize the Earth or open up a wormhole into a parallel universe." Mr. Davenport says. "But, I made it, and I want to play with it, so..." Mr. Davenport turns on the machine and a bluish-purple light shoots out from the cones. "Prepare to be amazed!"

"Or gravely injured," Chase says. Adam puts his arms out in front of us and we stepped back. Suddenly, the machine turns off.

"Once again, big buildup, teeny, tiny payoff," Leo says as he stands behind Mr. Davenport. Tasha enters the lab.

"Okay, the popcorn is popping, and the movie is uploaded. Or downloaded. Whatever, the red thingy is blinking green. Just head upstairs. It's movie time!" Tasha says. Adam, Bree, Chase, Mr. Davenport, and I leave the lab.

"I do love a matinee," Leo says.

"Oh, hold it, mister. No movie for you until you finish your chores." Tasha says. "Your room is a mess, and you haven't washed the dishes in days."

"But I've been looking forward to this movie all week," Leo says.

"And I've been looking forward to clean dishes all week," Tasha says.

"Really? Well, that's just sad." Leo says. When Tasha and Leo leave the lab, the proton fuser turns back on.

Upstairs in the living room, Adam, Bree, Chase, Mr. Davenport, Tasha, and I were all sitting on the couch watching the movie and laughing. Leo is in the kitchen washing dishes and tries to sneak over to the living room. He starts to laugh, but Tasha sees him. "Leo!" Tasha says, making Leo scream. He drops the plate he is holding, and it shatters on the floor.

"I said no movie. First, you won't do the dishes, then you break them?" Tasha says, getting up from the couch.

"Hey, you said you hate looking at dirty dishes, and that's one less to look at," Leo says.

"That is it. No TV for the rest of the week." Tasha says.

"That's not fair," Leo says. "By the way, I've seen this movie. I wouldn't get too attached to that dog." Adam, Bree, Chase, and I gasped loudly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Stupid chores," Leo says as he walks into the lab. He looks at the machine and sees that it has been turned on. "I'm just gonna go ahead and say it. This isn't gonna end well. Help! Help! Help!" The machine starts to suck Leo in, and he struggles to get away from it. "Help! Please! Help!" Once he gets sucked into the wormhole, he finds himself back in the lab.