Robot Fight Club

In the lab, Adam, Chase, and I are practicing our fighting skills while Bree is attacking a dummy. The four of us were wearing grey robes. "All right, guys, gather up." Mr. Davenport says as he enters the lab. "Today, we are going to be studying one of the most time-honored traditions in Japanese culture."

"Ooh! Nun chuck combat?" Bree says.

"Samurai sword fighting?" Chase says.

"Jujitsu?" I say.

"Wrestling ginormous dudes in diapers?" Adam says.

"We will be studying the great martial art of Aikido, the key principle of which is to deflect your aggressor's attack by using his own speed and strength against him." Mr. Davenport says.

"Can we just get to the part where I obliterate them?" I ask. Mr. Davenport's phone rings.

"I have to take this. Uh, it's about money. Which is not more important than you, but is a very close second." Mr. Davenport answers the phone and leaves the lab.

"Hey, Adam, attack me," Chase says.

"Okay, your hair is stupid, you're short, your face is weird," Adam says.

"I meant hit me," Chase says.

"Okay, good, because that was going to be a really long list," Adam says.

"Wait, wait, wait. Are you sure about this? Adam is ten times stronger than you." Bree says.

"Doesn't matter. With Aikido, a weak opponent can defeat a much stronger one." Chase says.

"Ah, but what if the weaker opponent fits neatly into an overhead storage bin?" Adam asks. Chase gives Adam a look. "I'm talking about you."

"Just hit me," Chase says. When Adam charges at Chase, Chase grabs Adam's arm and flips him over easily. "And that's all you need to know about Aikido."

"Oh, I get it," I say. I grab Chase's arm and flip him to the ground.

"Cass, that's not Aikido!" Chase says.

"Oh, really? My bad." I say. Adam and I do a handshake, and we both bow to Chase. When Adam and Bree leave the lab, Leo walks in as I help Chase up.

"Chase, Cassie, I need your help," Leo says. "The annual Mission Creek robot throwdown challenge is coming up."

"Leo, for the last time. I'm not a robot." Chase says. "I'm a man." Leo and I just look at him. "One day, I'll be a man."

"I'm not talking about you. It's a competition where remote control robots fight to the death." Leo says. "Here, take a look." Leo shows Chase and me a video of the robot competition on his laptop.

"Leo, that's cool and all, but I've got way better things to do than..." Chase begins to say, but Leo cuts him off.

"The grand prize is $500."

"And I'm in," Chase says.

"Me too," I say.

We see a guy on the screen. "Who's that guy?" Chase asks.

"Kevin Stone. That smug jerk wins every year. He thinks he's so much better than me." Leo says.

"Sounds like he is better than you," I say.

"That's not the point!" Leo says. "So I was thinking..."

"That if the three of us teamed up and built a robot together we could take Kevin down," Chase says. "That's a great idea. We'll make a perfect team. I'm an amazing engineer, a brilliant designer, and the most diligent person on the planet. And you...are the guy who picked me."