Fool me once

"I never knew Derek shepherd was such a romantic." She grinned as the two of them laid under the stars taking each others presence in. They listened to the sound of the waves.

"I never knew you could smile." He teased her.

"Hey!" She punched his arm with her ineffectual fists.

He smiled smugly. "Point proven."

"I will throw sand in your eyes."

"You wouldn't dare."

She quickly cupped a handful of sand and chucked it at him. He wiped off the sand and ran after her playfully tackling her. She giggled as he held on to her and tried to escape from his grasp. Once she succeeded she ran back to their blanket. Derek followed her lead and sat down by her staring into her eyes "What?"

"Nothing, you're just..beautiful."

She blushed, covering her hands over her face like a school girl. He leaned in and removed her hands from out of her face. She looked at his lips and back to his eyes before embracing the kiss. It was quick but a moment neither of them would forget anytime soon. "So here's the part where you invite me to your house." She whispered into his ear slightly turning him on.

"Our house, you're moving in soon enough."  He replied.

"Yeah but it's much more sexier if you ask me to." She smirked remembering their deal.

"Meredith, would you like to come home with me." He played into her antics.

"I'd love to."

They packed up their things and left the beach. By the time they arrived to the house it was around four in the morning. Neither of them could sleep to afraid of losing the moment. "I'll cook us dinner." He offered

"No more steamed vegetables." She frowned.

"You're very bossy."

"But you love me." She grinned.

"But I love you."

He began making the two of them grilled cheeses when his phone rang. She began to reach for it. "Let it go to voicemail."

"Hey Derek, it's Addison. I've been trying to get a hold of you but I don't know if your phone is dead. I am just really worried so if you could give me a call back I'd really appreciate it. Our dates still on for Friday right? You aren't chickening out on me are you? Love you, bye."

Tears welled in Meredith's eyes as she grabbed her things and headed for the door. He chased after her but was met with a door slamming in his face. He persisted as she got into her jeep. He quickly opened the door. "Meredith it's not what you think!"

"Who is it then?"

"My ex wife." His insecurity wreaking in his voice.

"Do you love her?" A single tear fell down her face.

"Well I can't sit here and lie to you."

"Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me right? " She avoided eye contact with him as he put the car in drive.  She noticed his house was smoking. "You might want to check on that." He hesitated but had to leave her to tend the to the smoke.

He ran inside to find their grilled cheeses burnt to a crisp. He quickly turned off the stove. "Shit, shit, shit." She absolutely hated him, he could see it in her eyes.  He hated himself too.