Not So Happy Ending

After spending the past few days at the dingy motel both Meredith and Derek both decided returning to work was best. But first they took it upon themselves to come clean to Shannon. The two entered the office hand in hand. Derek recalled Meredith telling him off multiple times and smiled to himself. They sat down by each other giddy gaining the looks of passerby's. Shannon opened the door with a surprised look on face, whether it was from how long it had been since they saw her or how happy they had gotten. "Grey, Shepherd." She sounded almost confused.

The two entered the room and sat on the couch by each other. "So, this is probably going to be our last time here because uh we've been lying to you. We didn't know each-other like at all and I kind of hated him.  He had a wife and well I had an ex fiancée which was.. you know what nevermind. The story basically ends up with me being a trashy cliche of a runaway bride.. not to the same fiancée. Now you think i'm a whore, I-" She tried so desperately to find her footing which never came.

"I know. I mean I didn't know all of that but I had a feeling when I saw him introduce himself to you."

"You knew?" The two asked in unison shocked.

"Of course I knew. I see couples in here all the time who can't even stand to look at each other, you two fought but you fought out of love not hate. I also had suspicions when I saw payment was from Isobel Stevens and neither of you. So if I'm allowed to ask where are you going from here?"

The two smiled. "I'm going to marry her." He stated proudly.

"Congratulations you two, I assume I get an invite?"

"Of course." Meredith nodded. Her pager rang. "We really have to get going, thank you for everything Shannon."

She smiled as she watched the couple leave the room. The two giggled on the way to the car. The drive back to the hospital was lighthearted and Meredith met with Bailey. "I got here as soon as I could, what do you need?"

"I need you to check my patients vitals every hour, I am going out with my husband tonight so don't page me unless it's an emergency. Understand Grey?"

"So you're not going to talk about the wedding..?"

"Damn it Grey, do I look like I want to be talking about your personal affairs? Do you have this or should I ask another intern?"

"I have this ma'am."

Miranda handed Meredith the charts before leaving to the elevator. She did as she was told doing routine vital checks until a familiar face appeared haunting her. She wanted to run in the other direction, but she had already done that once. She walked into a supply closet trying to hide from him but she was already found. "Meredith."

"Josh I am so sorry I didn't.. I'm really sorry."

"You're an entitled bitch you know that." He pushed her against the metal shelf.

She pushed him back. "We're not doing this. I'm sorry I-" Her sentence being cut off from a blow to her head. She stumbled backward pulling down supplies off the shelf with her. She felt a warm liquid run down her face. She was bleeding. Suddenly the door swung open revealing Derek who had watched her enter the on call room. He quickly realized what had happened and he was going to make this son of a bitch pay. She quickly scattered off the floor and out of the room wincing in pain. Not looking where she was running, she bumped into Callie. "Oh my god are you okay?"

"Stitches. I think.. I need stitches.." She spoke in shock. "And...maybe a CT.."

"Meredith what happened?" She turned to a nurse. "Page Sloan and Shepherd."

Words were nonexistent to her. Her mind was racing a thousand thoughts a second. All she could do is point to the closet. Callie quickly went to observe the scene leaving Meredith alone at the nurses station. Derek was in the middle of beating the ever loving shit out of him before Callie pulled him off. "Derek! Take a walk!" She turned to a nurse. "Call security, this is going to be a long night."

Derek walked over to Meredith who was still losing blood. Josh had left a pretty big gash on her forehead. Blood was seeping into her eye. "Mer, are you okay?" His voice coated in worry.

She was physically shaking. "Y-yeah," She touched her head. "I think.. are you?"

He opened his mouth to respond but security escorted him away along with Josh who wasn't too far behind. She stood still taking everything in. It was too much, it was chaos. Callie grabbed her arm causing her to jolt. "Woah Mer, it's just me. I am going to get you in a patient bed and control this bleeding okay? Sloan's already in the E.R waiting for us."

She nodded. When they took her to the bed Cristina immediately took notice running over. "Holy crap, are you okay?" Everything was a complete blur. From Sloan stopping the bleed to Callie and Cristina talking over one another. She remained silent. She didn't realize she was actually getting stitches until a needle was shoved in her face. It wasn't like Mark wasn't telling her what was happening, it was just too much for her to comprehend at once. Derek and her had been so happy this morning, she wondered what the hell happened. When he finished suturing, he called Dr. Nelson for a consult.

"Listen do you need me to stay, I know the last time I saw you it didn't go so well but i'm uh.. here for you if you need." Mark asked.

"Derek?" She completely ignored him.

"Don't worry about him, the chief is reasonable."

"Mark.." Callie warned. She whispered something into his ear.

"Screw Nelson, tell him to meet me in CT. What the hell is taking him so long?" Callie asked.

She stood up to follow her and tripped over herself. She grabbed her for stability. Mark brought over a wheelchair which she accepted. They took her CT to get films done of her head. She laid there for about a minute until they saw she was clean. Mark and her shared a sigh of relief. "Derek will be relieved."

"If he's not in prison at the end of the night, I can't believe him." She commented before Nelson entered the room. "Her scans are cleaned but we wondering if you could just do a quick exam to see if there is anything we missed."

He groaned. "You paged 9-1-1 for this?"

"Please."

He did as he was told and walked into the room. Richard entered the room. "Police are asking for your eye witness." She hesitated but followed.

When Meredith was done with her exam Mark wheeled her up to the patient floor. "You don't have to do this you know? They said I'm fine."

"I'd like to keep you for observation. Besides I don't think you're fit to drive home."

"How's Derek? I should've stopped him, I could've stopped him.."

"I'll get an update on that for you."

She sat lonely on her bed in blood covered clothes. She had been in so much shock that her body wasn't able to succumb to the injuries and now it finally had time to. Cristina walked in with fresh clothes and sat on the bed next to her. "They came to an agreement Derek won't be charged if he volunteers at the clinic every Thursday for six months."

She sighed. "Better than nothing.. god my head hurts."

"I can ask the nurse to give you some pain meds."

"Can you?"

She nodded before leaving the room. Meredith clicked on the tv to some random program. Time passed by and Cristina still hadn't returned. She eventually fell asleep waiting. She awoke when the door creaked open. Derek entered the room walking to her bedside. His face was slightly bruised and his hand had ice on it. He pulled the rail down and sat on the bed next to her holding her close. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Just shaken up. Are you?" She frowned looking at his hand.

"Don't worry about me Meredith."

"How's.."

"Josh? He won't be coming back here." He scanned her scar.

She covered the gash embarrassed. "I'm going to have an ugly scar for the rest of my life. Your wife is going to look like Frankenstein."

He whistled. "Bride of Frankenstein, i'm into it."

She giggled causing her to wince.

"Sorry. Mark did your sutures, it'll be gone in weeks. And if not scars are sexy." He kissed her.

She leaned on his chest.  "I just want to sleep this day away."

He brushed gently through her hair. "Go to sleep, I have you."