Fate Keeps Pulling Us Together

Derek Shepherd was not a nervous man but today was different. A few weeks ago Derek had found an invitation to Meredith's bachelorette party that he was pretty sure he wasn't welcome to. Yet he had come anyway, it had been weeks since he saw her face, she avoided him at all costs at work at the slight chance he might ask her what happened. Deep down he knew he forced into moving out. He opened the door and saw her wrapped in a toilet paper wedding dress topped off with a veil. She giggled as they unraveled her. When she finally got of the paper prison she turned around and spotted Derek. Her eyes lit up as she ran over to him.  Her arms wrapped around his neck. "Derek!"

He smiled relieved. "Meredith!"

"It's so good to see you, what are you doing here?" She asked confused looking at the girls as if they invited him.

He stumbled trying to find the words. "Uh, you know.."

"No I don't.." She scratched her head awkwardly.

"I may have found an invitation on the floor of your room after you left."

"So you stalked me?" She teased him.

Isobel and Cristina watched across the room as he became flustered. "This is just sad." Her raven haired friend commented.

"Shut up, I think it's sweet." Izzie smiled.

"Sweet? This is sad. She's getting married tomorrow and he is head over heels."

"Way to ruin a moment." Izzie picked up a glass of tequila and handed it to Derek. "Welcome to this very lame bachelorette party."

"I only came because they promised booze." Meredith smiled breaking the tension.

"Speaking of which, you have had one too many drinks." Cristina ripped the cup out of her hand. "I need you sharp if you're getting married tomorrow."

"You're no fun."

"Boo hoo. You'll thank me when you don't have a raging headache walking down the isle tomorrow."

Meredith sighed before looking up to Derek. She opened her mouth but was interrupted by a pager from the other side of the room.

"Shit, shit, sorry Mer we're on call." Izzie grabbed her coat and ran out the door with Cristina.

Meredith frowned. "Sucks you came so late, I was looking forward to spending time with you."

"Tonight doesn't have to end."

"What do you mean?"

"We have booze and each-other, wait I didn't mean it like.. I just mean you have someone to party with before your big day."

She snagged the tequila off the counter and poured the two cups. The two sat on her bed. She downed the tequila.

"So your new house is uh nice."

"Don't lie." She laughed looking at the unfinished paint job. "It's something but it's not nice."

He admired her. "It's definitely not as nice as your engagement ring." He teased.

"Shut up! I'm not a ring girl anyway."

"I'll keep that in mind." Slipped out of his mouth.

"Why did you help him pick out my wedding ring too?"

"Yes because he loves me so much." He rolled his eyes.

"About that, i'm sorry. I was an ass and didn't give you an explanation. It's not what you think, he's a good guy and he loves me. He wants to build a future together which is scary as hell but I think maybe I am the problem in this relationship. Maybe you two can be buddies. You're both great guys."

"You really love him?"

She hesitated. "I'm getting married to him."

"That's not what I asked."

"It's the answer you're getting. You really want to sit here and fight?"

"No, Meredith I don't want to fight anymore."

"Good because I need someone to walk me down the isle tomorrow because Alex caught the flu. I'm assuming you still have your tux."

"Of course."

"Good uh that's good. You and Addison going well?"

"Well it's uh actually not going at all, I signed divorce papers last Tuesday. Speaking of, if you miss one more session Shannon is gonna blow a gasket."

She bursted out laughing. "Oh that's rich. I'm getting married, you're getting divorced and she still thinks we are a couple that's a good one. Poor Shannon. Maybe we should come clean."

He chuckled. "I'm pretty sure we'd give her an aneurysm explaining it."

She broke the moment. "Derek?"

His heart was beating out of his chest. "Meredith."

"Promise me I won't lose you. I know I really haven't been the best to you but you're my best friend and I can't go through this marriage if I don't have you by my side. I need you to tell me if I am making a mistake marrying him."

Thrown off guard he was completely speechless. He wanted so badly for her to get her happy ending, he wanted her to know what it was like to feel loved. As much as every muscle in his body told him not to all he could say was. "Marry him."