Chapter 8

I looked at Hunter utterly shocked. The man he was so afraid of was his own father?

"Your father?! W-why would you be scared of him?" I asked as I jumped up.

He let out a frustrated sigh and dug his claws into the couch. "I'd rather not talk about it," he said turning his head away from me.

Being who I was, I wouldn't let it slide that easy.

"Well now you have to tell me! Please?" I begged.

He brought his feet onto the couch and hugged his legs, "No!" he snapped at me.

I clenched my fist, upset that I wasn't going to get my way so easily. I quickly wrapped my arm around his neck and held him in a headlock.

"Tell me!" I exclaimed.

Without the slightest bit of struggle, he grabbed my shoulder and flipped me over his shoulder onto the floor with a thud.

"Owwwww! My head!" I whined holding my head.

He looked down at me with an unamused face, "You deserved that you know," he said coldly and went back to hugging his knees.

I quickly got up and grabbed the front of his hoodie, "Tell me! Or else," I threatened.

He smirked at me and hissed, "Or else what?"

I paused and slowly let go of him. "Fine! Don't tell me!" I yelled at him.

I went into the bathroom and slammed the door. Just like that, my trust in him evaporated into thin air. How am I going to trust him if he can't even tell me about his father? I closed the lid on the toilet and sat on it resting my head on my hands. I sat there pouting and letting off steam for a long time going through my memories again.

At one point Hunter finally knocked on the door, "Can I come in?" he asked.

Still irritated with him I got up and locked the door, "No," I replied and sat on the counter.

It was quiet for a moment and then he said, "I'll tell you about him ok?"

I got up and cracked opened the door, "Promise?" I asked.

He groaned, "Yeah yeah.."

I opened the door and went to go sit on the couch. Hunter hopped onto the coffee table in front of the couch and faced me, "It's kind of a long story," he sighed."It all began when the infection started. It was me, my father, my mother, and my little sister. We had just encountered a common infected and it was headed straight for us, but my father was prepared with a gun and killed it..."

I cut him off momentarily, "So what was the prob-"

He raised his hand to quiet me and continued, "However... it had scratched me. I was suffering from fear and shock at the time so I refused to tell them, so..." He swallowed hard and slowly hung his head, "When I woke up the next morning, I had become completely infected and I was unable to control myself."

He looked up at me with regret and sorrow on his face, "I had completely devoured my sister and mother."

I gasped and put my hand over my mouth. He unintentionally murdered his own family? The thought of it happening to me was absolutely dreadful. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

After I had wrapped my head around the concept he kept going, "When my father found out, he was absolutely furious. After all, he never really loved me even before the infection..."

I cut him off again, "What?! How could you say that! I'm sure he loved you very much!" I almost yelled.

He growled and clawed the coffee table, "Loved me?" he growled. "Then explain this," he said as he started taking off his hoodie.

Not understanding what was going on I freaked out a little, "WH-what are you doing?!" I yelled covering my eyes.

"Oh calm down and just look," he snapped.

I peeked through my fingers and saw that his entire body was covered in scars. "Oh my god...” I whispered.

I reached out and ran my hand over the scars that went from his neck down his arm all the way to his hand. "He abused you?" I asked very worried still examining the scars.

"Yup he sure did," he said plainly as if he didn't care.

I looked up at him with sympathy in my eyes, "I'm so sorry," I muttered.

He shrugged and patted my head, "It's ok. It's not like they hurt anymore."

My expression didn't change, "Physically yes, but what about emotionally?" I asked.

He was still for a while, but then he slowly bent down and rested his head on my shoulder, "Just a little..."