Chapter 9

Hunter laid his head on my shoulder for a long time with his hand on my other shoulder, making sure I wouldn't pull away. I started to pet the back of his head trying to comfort him. I felt terribly guilty after all since I practically forced him to tell me about his father. Suddenly I remembered something.  He didn't put his hoodie back on and he didn't have a shirt on either so I didn't realize I was already blushing, a lot.

Hunter tightened his grip on my shoulder, but careful not to use his claws and pushed his head against my neck, "Are you ok? You're really starting to burn up," he said as he breathed down my neck.

I gulped and tried my hardest to keep calm. "I-I'm fine," I stuttered.

Quickly he pulled away from me and slipped his hoodie back on, "Sorry. I was making you uncomfortable wasn't I?" he asked.

Once again, guilt came back and slapped me across the face. He needed someone to comfort him and I just drove him away because I just HAD to be difficult.

I rubbed my neck where his head once was and looked away, "No I'm sorry. Not only did I force you into talking about your father, I pushed you away when you needed a shoulder to lean on," I said.

I heard him hop back onto the coffee table again and he forcefully moved my hand from my neck.

"Then don't," he said as he put his head back on my shoulder.

I sighed and started petting the back of his head again and he started to growl, but more in a purring kind of way. I giggled and asked sarcastically, "What are you? A cat?"

He chuckled and whispered in my ear, "Meow."

I laughed and continued to pet him. I had to admit, although I never thought this would happen again, I actually felt happy even though I was in the midst of an apocalypse.

"So I take it that you like being pet?" I asked.

He chuckled again, "Actually... It's more that your scent is just really nice," he said as he rubbed his head on my shoulder.

All of a sudden, he lifted his head and hopped onto the couch and lied down resting his head on my lap, "Much better," he murmured turning his head and burying his face into my hoodie, "You can go back to petting me now," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes as I pulled his hood down and started running my fingers through his hair. It was a chocolate brown like mine with some black streaks, but then I noticed something else; there was a small, thin braid going down the back.

I continued brushing his hair with my hand and as I looked down at him, I realized I didn't really see him as a zombie anymore, I saw him as an actual person. A person with thoughts, weaknesses, feelings...a heart. I remembered when I first met him, he was stingy and cold-hearted, but deep down he was a little boy who needed someone to look after him.

After a few minutes, I heard a light snoring and giggled slightly. He really was like a little boy. He looked so peaceful when he slept, like he couldn't even harm a fly. At that moment, I felt something in my chest swell up and started to bang on the inside of my rib cage. It gradually started getting faster and my cheeks turned light pink. I put my hand on my chest and felt my heart beating like crazy. I gripped onto my hoodie and quietly I murmured, "A-am I falling for him..."

I brushed my hand across his slow decaying cheek, but I didn't care about that. I knew it wasn't just a coincidence that we met the way we did, it was fate. I knew it wasn't just a simple crush that I had for him, it was love. However, one voice was whispering to me in the back of my headBut does he feel the same?

I felt my heart beating harder, but with an aching edge to it now. What if he didn't feel the same? What if I was only a tool to him? What if he abandoned me? These questions swarmed inside my head giving me a headache.

I put my hand on my head trying to keep steady, but then I heard something bringing me back to reality, "What's wrong sweetheart?" it asked poking its head through the window.

I slowly turned my head and felt everything in my body go numb. It was another smoker.