Chapter 14

I tried not to panic as Hunter got off me and looked down the alley and glared at the survivor, "That voice.... I know that voice," he grumbled.

Hunter took a step closer to him, but then Leo pulled out his shotgun. Immediately I jumped to my feet and stood in front of Hunter.

"What are you doing?! He's a hunter!" Leo hollered at me.

"I know that, but I can't let you kill him," I warned through narrowed eyes.

Slowly Leo lowered his gun allowing Hunter and me to come closer. When we got close enough Hunter all of a sudden blurted out, "Wait a minute.. I know you!"

Leo looked at him confused, "What are you talking about?"

Hunter grinned and slowly took off his hood. Leo looked at him shocked, "Oh my god.... You're Hunter from junior year!" he said bluntly.

Hunter let out a growl and responded, "And you must be the douche-bag blondie."

I looked back and forth from Hunter to Leo and back. "Huh? You guys know each other?" I asked with a dorky look.

"Oh boy do we know each other," Hunter responded still glaring at Leo with a grin.

"You could say we have history," Leo said glaring and grinning at Hunter too.

By the looks of it, this could get really ugly really fast. Hunter looked down at me and then at Leo. A huge grin grew across his face as he slipped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder. I barely noticed the corner of Leo's mouth twitch which was probably what Hunter was hoping for.

"So how's life been treating you?" he asked.

Leo sighed, "Not the best, I'm sure you can imagine," he responded.

"Well my life is going well actually," Hunter said still grinning, "Since I've got a companion," he finished while tightening his arms around my waist.

Leo looked at me surprised with a hint of disappointment, "Him?" he asked while pointing to Hunter.

I shrugged, "It's a long story," I told him.

"But he's a ZOMBIE!" Leo complained raising his voice a little.

I sighed, "What can I say? I'm a sucker for his eyes," I said.

"Eyes? I thought he didn't have any since his hair was covering his face 24/7," he snickered.

I looked over my shoulder at Hunter and he gave me a nod. I reached up and moved his bangs from his face. Leo's smirk slowly faded into surprise. "Huh... I guess you do have eyes," Leo said.

Hunter shrugged and simply replied, "One of a kind."

I smiled slightly at his little comment, "So what do you think?" I asked Leo sarcastically.

"I guess they aren't hideous," he admitted.

His gaze moved to my arm and his eyes slowly widened in fear. I looked down at my arm and it was bleeding a lot.

"What happened?" Leo asked while pulling me from Hunter's grasp, "Did he do this to you?!" he snapped at Hunter.

Ashamed, Hunter hung his head and took a few steps away, "I didn't mean to..." he apologized.

”Do you realize what you've done?! She could become infected you idiot!" he yelled at Hunter.

"Hey! Don't talk to him like that!" I threatened.

Leo looked at me upset, "I'm only concerned about your well being," he said while getting something from his pocket. "How do you feel?" he asked me.

"I'm perfectly fi-" I said when suddenly I felt a sharp pain in my head and fell to my knees. "M-my head hurts!" I whined.

"Yup you're infected," Leo said pulling a syringe from his pocket.

"Wh-what is that?" I asked Leo while holding my head in my hand.

"You'll see," he said as pulled up my sleeve and gave me the shot.

Within a few seconds my headache slowly disappeared. "What is that?" I asked him.

He sighed, disappointed and answered, "My last cure."

I looked at him confused, "A cure?"

He nodded, "Yup. I kept a couple on me but that was my last one," he told me while pulling up my sleeve more to look at my wounds.

"Oh... Well thanks I really appreciate it," I told him.

He might be a total jerk to Hunter, but I knew he wasn't completely heartless. He did give me his last cure for an infection after all. When he finished taking care of my wounds, I turned around to find Hunter a couple yards away sitting against the wall watching us. I sighed and walked over to him, "It's ok Hunter. I'm going to be fine," I said with a smile.

Hunter looked up at me his eyes filled with guilt, "I'm really sorry," he said.

I crouched down in front of him and put my hand on his cheek, "It's okay, really. You were just upset that's all," I told him.

He put his hand on mine and held it there, "But I almost killed you...” he said.

I was about to say something until he suddenly stood up, walked pass me, and took off down the alley. I tried to go after him, but then I felt a hand on my shoulder, "Let him go. He needs to blow off some steam," Leo told me with sympathy.

I thought for a second and he was probably right. The last thing I wanted to do was upset him more by accident.

"Just give him a couple hours. He probably went for a run," Leo said.

I looked at him curiously, "How would you know that?" I asked him.

He sighed, "We weren't always this hateful towards each other. We were actually best friends once."

I could've sworn my jaw dropped to ground, "Best friends?!"

He sat down on the ground, "You might wanna sit down 'cause it's a long story....all starting with Carmen, the most popular girl in school."