Chapter 4

For what seemingly was forever I kept debating which choice I should make. I didn't want to become a zombie, I didn't want to kill other survivors, and I didn't want to die. Suddenly I realized the hunter pinning me down was losing his patience because he started growling.

"Hurry up already!" he snapped at me.

"B-but I don't know!" I quickly responded.

He let out a frustrated growl, "Then I'll decide for you."

"But wh-" I stuttered.

But he cut me off, "No 'buts'! I've given you plenty of time to decide!"

I glared at him with hate and yelled back, "Do you think this is easy?! You might as well kill me!"

He was quiet now and looking down at me. "You're going to hunt for me," he finally replied. I was about to argue, but then he squeezed my injured arm again to silence me. "Think about it, you'd be doing that person a favor. It would be a quick death and you'd be freeing them from this hell. Don't you agree?"

As much as I hated this guy, he was kinda right. It would be better to die with a bullet through the head rather than eaten alive and you couldn't go to hell for committing suicide.... But what about me? Would I go to hell for murdering these people? I guess it doesn't matter now since hell already broke loose.

"Fine. I'll do your dirty work for you," I muttered through my teeth. 

He smiled wide, "Perfect!"

He got off me and I sat up. "Here," he tossed me my knife and crouched on the ground waiting for me to get up. Does he actually trust me enough to already give me my weapon? Doesn't he know I could easily take him out once he turns around? It sounds simple, but....why do I have this feeling that I shouldn't? He's a hunter, I'm a survivor. I must kill him once I get the chance.

I got up and so did the hunter, "I'm Hunter by the way," he said holding out his hand.

I hesitated but I still shook his hand. It was slimy and bumpy. Good thing I used my left hand, but it still made me flinch, "How ironic. I'm Ruby," I replied trying to keep my voice leveled.

He held his hands behind his head and started going down the alley, "Well let's go then," he said.

This is my chance! I quickly ran up behind him and I was about to stick my knife into his neck when I somehow found myself pinned face first against the wall. He was fast! He had me pinned to the wall before I could blink!

"That wasn't a very wise decision Ruby," he threatened into my ear.

I tried to struggle free but he was too strong. As I struggled he pried the knife from my hand and squeezed my injured arm really tight. I couldn't help but let out a small scream from the pain.

"I think I'll hold onto this for a while. Are you going to behave now?" he whispered in my ear.

I let out an irritated groan, "Fiiiine..." I muttered.

"Good, but that's your last warning," he said lightly digging his nails into my side with his other hand. He let me go and headed down the alley again. Slowly, I followed a few feet behind. This was probably the weirdest partnership in the universe, a human fighting for survival alongside a zombie. Though I felt disgusted by it, deep down I could've sworn I had a tiny feeling of... excitement.