Chapter 11

More and more seconds passed and the longer it lasted, the more aggressive Hunter became. As much as I wanted to go along with it, I wasn't ready to go any further. Unfortunately though, Hunter thought otherwise. He started getting really into it and when I tried to stop him he wouldn't.

Finally I had to use brute force and shove him off of me, "Hunter that's enough!" I snapped unintentionally.

Quickly he looked away embarrassed and apologized, "S-sorry, I let my instincts take over...” he said scratching the back of his head.

I was relieved that he wasn't upset with me and that I could definitely say now that he felt the same way I felt about him. I couldn't help but smile and lightly touch my lips remembering every second of that kiss, which was also my first.

All of a sudden I felt a sharp pain in my leg and remembered I had just been shot. Hunter tensed up as he glanced at my leg.

"I-I'm gonna wait outside," he said as he swiftly went out the door.

The sight and smell of fresh blood obviously made him hungry. I tore strips of fabric from the bed sheets to use as bandages and carefully removed the bullet from my leg. It was unbelievably painful, but I bit down on my bottom lip so I wouldn't make a sound. I limped to the bathroom to wash off the blood and also found alcohol to clean my wound so it wouldn't get infected.

When all that was taken care of, I told Hunter he could come back in. Slowly he peeked his head out of the door and asked, "So you're done? No more blood?"

I nodded, "Yup you're all clear," I replied simply.

There was an awkward silence for a while, but then Hunter asked breaking the silence, "Soooo... what was your life like before the infection?"

I had to admit it was pretty random, but I thought we might as well get to know each other better. I wasn't sure where to start, so I just started with my family, "Well my parents were very caring and wealthy so you could say I was a little spoiled. My father was a fantastic surgeon and my mom was a house wife so we spent a lot of time together. I was also an only child so I was grateful to have practically all of their undivided attention," I pulled up my sleeve to show Hunter the gifts they had given me, "I got these on my 12th birthday. The watch from my dad, the ring from my mom."

Hunter took my hand and examined the gifts with curious eyes as if he'd never seen stuff like these before, "You really were spoiled weren't you?" he said sarcastically.

I grinned and rolled my eyes, but my smile slowly disappeared, "It's all I have left of them..." I added solemnly.

Hunter looked up at me and lightly petted my head, "I'm so sorry," he quietly said understanding my grief.

He unzipped one of his pockets and pulled out a small glass unicorn, "This all I have left of my mother and sister," he started. "My mother was also very kind to both me and my sister. She worked incredibly hard so we could get through everyday just fine while my father just sat on his ass drinking beer," he said with a growl.

"I still can't believe he's survived this long..." he added.

I felt terrible for him. While I was living a life of luxury, he had to struggle for survival every day. "What about your sister?" I asked with a tilted head.

He laughed and continued on, "Well she really was something I have to admit. Although she was smaller than your average 8 year old, she was quite feisty!"

We both started laughing at that comment.

"But I think she's met her match," he said poking my forehead.