Forty

ARABELLA

I take a big stretch before walking into the beanery. It has been a long while since I walked into this place. I wonder if anyone missed me.

The familiar smell of coffee and donuts hit me when I walk in and I see Joe, big short Joe.

When he sees me, his eyes widen so big I think his eyes might pop out. "Arabella...?" His jaw drops and I stand there awkwardly.

"Hey! I know you must've missed me huh Joe? I have had a super long few months and I honestly should be fired for my lack of work time but you know how much I still need this job and everything has been crazy so can you please just let me keep this position because you are just the best please and thank you?" I take a deep breath after I rant and he just laughs.

He laughs.

He never laughs.

"Come here, girl." He comes up to me and pulls me in for a hug, shocking the heck out of me. He missed me.

Joe has never been a big hugger or just a nice person in general so something bad to of changed.

"You are different, why are you happy?" I raise an eyebrow and his face turns pink.

"Well... Me and Tabitha got married." He smiles.

Tabitha and Joe had been together for two years and engaged for three. They are the cutest couple ever and I remember always wanting to be like them one day. Tabitha is a sweet short lady who is about the same height as Joe and she has the prettiest curly hair and flawless skin. They deserve each other.

"Oh My God! Joe, I'm so happy for you, I wish I could have made it there!" I clap my hands together and put a big smile on my face.

"It's alright, as much as I would love to talk, you have to make up for all the time you have missed. Go back up to your spot!"

The cafe is my home. It's the only place I can be myself and feel actual joy. There are no boys, no drama, and the sweet smell of coffee.

I take my spot behind the desk and wait for people to come in. All of my things are just where they were last and I grab one of my books.

I prop it open and begin reading, finally feeling at peace.

After a few minutes, the bell above the door rings signaling someone has come in and I set my book down.

No way.

I watch as Isabella walks in with her large trench coat on with high heel boots. Her pin-straight blonde hair falls gracefully against her back and she has a big smile on her face.

I become even more shocked when the total opposite of her is walking right next to her, hand in hand.

What the actual heck?

When Isabella spots me, she gasps.

"Arabella? Oh my Gosh! I haven't seen you since... Yeah anyway, how are you? Are you feeling okay?"

I don't answer her.

I stare at the two hands conjoined and take a good look at the girl next to her. She has a lot of piercings on her face, black curly hair that is dyed purple at the ends and she has lots of eyeliner.

My mind goes blank and it takes me a while to register what's happening and I just stare at her while she awkwardly waits for an answer.

I open my mouth to speak but say something that wasn't meant to come out.

"Are you with her?" My face tilts and her eyes widen.

She clears her throat. "Yes, her name is piper and she... She is my girlfriend."

I don't think I have ever been this flabbergasted.

"So... I'm confused. Rico was right?"

She awkwardly looks around as if she is genuinely confused, she probably is.

"Rico was right about what?" Her eyes squint and her girlfriend finally says something.

"Who is this Bella?"

What the actual-

Okay, this is becoming too much for me. Rico was right. He was right this entire time. He was dating her so she could be with her girlfriend without her parents knowing. It all makes sense now.

I completely ignore Isabella explaining who I am to her girlfriend.

They aren't together. They never were. Me and Rico can be together.

My face lights up and she confusingly laughs. "Are you okay Arabella?"

I want to leave right now to go tell Rico I believe him but I just got back and have to catch up on a lot of missing work but my stomach just bubbles up with happiness.

"I'm amazing, what would you guys like?" I smile.

5 hours later

I clean up the tables and finish up. I wave goodbye to Joe and I happily watch him kiss Tabitha and they get into their car together.

Oh to be them.

I turn off the lights and lock up the doors before catching a cab back to the house. Rico is still at work and I don't have a car so the best I can do is ride a cab.

When I get to the apartment, I pay the person before heading inside and going home.

When I get inside, I throw myself on his couch and sigh, who knew saying so many "Hi welcome to the beanery, what would you like?" Would make you this exhausted?

My body flies up when the door unlocks. I watch as Rico walks in and sets his jacket up, taking his shoes off and when he spots me, he gives me a tired smile.

On the other hand, I give him the happiest smile and I run toward him, jumping into his arms.

I can finally be with him.

He makes an 'oof' sound as my body collided with him and he holds me right against him.

I breathe him in and pull back, staring into his eyes.

He seems confused but doesn't question it as I collide my lips with his, hoping to put all my emotion in with it.

"I love you." I pull back and stare at him.

"I love you." He pulls me back in for a kiss.

A beautiful kiss.
——————————————————————————