Chapter 6

Switching back to Kylie's POV

•~•~•

The next morning, Irene's parents arrived in the airport and I, along with the boys, arrived at the airport to pick them up.

The sound of the airplanes taking off in the distance was something that I hoped I wouldn't have to hear anytime soon and yet, here I am. I waved towards Aunt Amy and Uncle Sean and they rushed towards us. "Oh my God, Kylie!" Aunt Amy crushed me with a hug. "How's Irene doing? Is she okay?" She asked frantically and in this distance, I can finally see her red eyes and nose and I can faintly point our her frown lines as she worried more and more about her daughter.

"Aunt Amy, she's awake and talking but you might want to wait until you meet up with the doctor to hear the whole diagnosis. Let's get your bags in the trunk and we're going to head to the hospital." I spoke as calm as I could as I ushered them to Ray's car.

Along the way there, Uncle Sean finally asked who the boys are. "Uh, Irene and I met some new friends on the beach. This is Ray," I pointed to Ray who was driving and introduced Matt, Zac and Benny to them. "The other three are in the hospital." Irene's parents smiled at them, "I'm glad you two met some decent guys during your vacation." Aunt Amy stated with a weak smile. I smiled back softly at her, "Yeah, me too." I looked back at Zac who had Benny on his lap. He whispered something to Benny and Benny giggled, "It tickles." He squealed and Zac chuckles, obviously amused by his brother's sensitivity.

"You guys are such a lovely couple," Aunt Amy whispered softly in my ear and I could feel the blush creeping up my cheeks and was rewarded with a wink from my sweet dear Aunt. I glared at her playfully, "We're not dating," I hissed at her, hoping the guy beside me won't tune in on our embarrassing talk. "Yet," was Matt's unimportant input on the whole talk. I glared at him in return, gaining myself another wink. What is it with these people and winks?!

Ray parked the car and announced that we were here. I told Uncle Sean to leave the bags in the trunk and led them to Irene's room where she was being fed hospital food by none other than Vince. Talk about awkward..

"Uh, hey Mom. Hey dad." She trailed off with an awkward cough and scarlet cheeks. Vince turned around and scratched the back of his head looking embarrassed and rose from his seat. He set the bowl of soup down before walking around the bed to shake hands with Uncle Sean. "You must be Mr. Hobbs." He stated with a smile and Uncle Sean stared at him skeptically before nodding, "And you are holding me back from checking on my daughter."

Vince looked like he was ready to faint and quickly scurried off to the boys' side and let Uncle Sean pass. "Hey sweetheart," I heard Uncle whisper softly before bending down and hugging Irene. Aunt Amy strolled towards Vince and wrapped him in her arms which I was sure pretty uncomfortable for Vince, considering he was twice the size of Aunt Amy. "I apologize for my husband, dear. Irene is my only child and of course, my husband spoils her." Vince nodded awkwardly as he looked like a lost puppy.

I could tell he was having a hard time in deciding whether it was okay to hug her back but he didn't have to make the choice because Aunt Amy released him not a second after. "I'm Amy, Irene's mother and you are..?" Vince still looked dubious and Julian elbowed him to get his attention. "Wha- Oh, right, yes. My name is Vince. It's nice meeting you Mrs. Hobbs."

"Don't worry, I'm backing you up if my husband gives you a hard time on dating my daughter. You seem like a really nice guy." Vince looked like he was about to faint from how much blood is rushing to his head. I can't afford but to chuckle at how scared he looks.

"C'mon, Aunt Amy, you're scaring the guy." I told her with a chuckle and I could see Vince's shoulders sagging as I steered the woman to Irene's bed. "Oh, darling. What did you get yourself into now?" She chastised her and Irene looked offended and started complaining just like the old days and even though they are going through a banter that her parents wouldn't win, I smiled at the sight. It was something familiar and it reassured me that she might actually get through this.

A knock came from the door and we all turned to see the doctor walk in with a nurse. "Ah, you must be Mr and Mrs Hobbs. Can I see you both outside to talk more privately? It's about the well-being of your daughter." Uncle Sean and Aunt Amy looked at each other before letting go of Irene and kissing her forehead and walked off with the doctor.

I walked to her and held her hand, trying to soothe her. "It's gonna be fine, Ryn. Don't you worry." I rubbed her knuckles with my thumb in circles and Vince set himself on the stool once more and grabbed the now-cold-food. "Open up," he ordered and Irene made a face before she opened her mouth and I smiled at the cute sight. I mentally awed at how sweet they are and left Irene and Vince be to join the others who were playing cards.

"Go fish," Matt said, looking triumph as ever. "Hey, I wanna join!" I yipped. "No can do, woman. You gotta wait till the next turn." Ray piped up as he scanned his hand and grinned happily, pointing to Julian and asked for a four. "Nope. No four." Ray narrowed his eyes at Julian and turned his hand palm facing up. "I know you have it, you sneaky little-"

He didn't manage to finish the sentence since I whacked him upside the head, "Language!" I snapped and he rubbed the spot, "Geez. Alright, alright. I get it. No cursing. Damn violent women." He muttered the last part but I still heard him so I gave him a punch.

"Alright, I'm sorry! Stop inflicting pain on me! Ain't no chic likes a guy with blue and black body!" He half-yelled. I narrowed my eyes at him, "Ain't no chic likes a guy who kisses them with a dirty little mouth either," I sassed.

The guys laughed at him and slapped his back. "You should know by now that a woman will never loose an argument! They always win." Irene yelled from the other side of the room and the guys rolled their eyes. "And why is that?" Benny ask with a cute little frown on his face as he waddled his way towards Irene, getting picked up by Vince and finally crawled his way onto Irene's lap all the way from Zac who was sitting next to me.

"Because women are stubborn and if you want to win an argument, you need to be stubborn. Therefore, women will always win." Irene told him seriously with no traces of humor. Benny nodded his head with a serious expression with a subtle frown and a cute pout.

The door opened to reveal Irene's parents. Her mom seemed like she might burst out crying any second and he father looked torn between comforting his wife and keeping a positive mind or confiding into his grief. "Oh my baby," Aunt Amy sniffed as she rushed to Irene's side. "Why didn't you tell us sooner, Irene?" Uncle Sean questioned as he stood beside his wife, caressing Irene's cheek.

I could see Vince retreat towards us to give them some privacy. "Come on, buddy. We need to give Irene some rest, let's go now." I told Benny as I let him hug Irene and kiss her cheek lightly, "Bye Iwene, see you tomorrow." He told her while smiling, completely oblivious to his surroundings." He turned to me and stood on the bed, raising his arms and wiggling his fingers.

I got a hold on his sides and lifted him into my arms. "We'll be waiting in the canteen," I informed them and they responded with a simple nod. The guys and I exited the room and went to the canteen, closing the door and giving the family some alone time.

Please God, let Irene survive this is all I could think as we made our way to the double doors.