Chapter 12

Now let me get this straight. There are a couple of things in this world that are extremely important and one of them is reading. Reading is my world but yet again there is other things that are more important such as sleeping, eating, breathing. Pie. Pie is something that is extremely important that it crosses out every single thing on those list but what cancels out pie, you might ask?

Well, it's a phone call from your dying best friend and that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I ditched my boyfriend and sadly, my pie..

Nah, just kidding, I brought the pie along with me. Yes so here I am, with Zac's car, driving it while eating my pie. I stole his keys. Yes, I know that it was not nice of me to steal his car but technically, as a territorial chic/friend once said: the rule to a relationship is 'mi casa es su casa'. Which means what is mine is yours so technically it's not stealing and as a cherry on top, it's technically borrowing it since he does know that I have it since I was sure he followed me out the door and saw me drive away with his car and I'm sure I'll see him in the hospital, so yeah. Definitely not stealing.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts and entered the building, taking the elevator and rushing to Irene's room right after the doors opened. I breathed in and out, calming my thunderous heartbeat and shook my hands to rid of the nerves. After I was sure I wouldn't scream or do anything that would attract great attention to myself, I turned the knob and pushed the door open.

Irene's parents were already in there, her mother was nestled in her father's arms, streak of tears still evident on her cheek but despite the tears, she was smiling and laughing, filled with joy. I still couldn't see Irene's bed since there was this curtain covering her from anyone who entered. I walked forward, towards where her parents were standing and on the foot of her bed.

When Uncle Sean looked up and saw me, he smiled with glassy eyes towards me and urged me to step forward, nodding with joy. I finally got a look on her bed and when I saw the sitting form that waved with me and greeted me with a smile, I was frozen on my spot.

My hand unconsciously flew up to my mouth as I gape at her before snapping out of it and rushed to her, attacking her with a big hug. "Oh my God! I thought we lost you, Ryn." I told her as tears leaked from my eyes. She grinned at me and made jokes about how girly I'm acting. "Shush. I just found out that my best friend just woke up from a coma, cut me some slack!" I argued and just held her as I buried my face on her shoulder. "I missed you." I whispered to her and she whispered an I miss you too.

We hugged it out before she held me at arm's length and her eyes roamed my face as a tear escaped her eyes. "I've missed you so damn much. Are you hurt? I remembered hearing some shouting while I was out. I wanted to scream for you guys to stop but my lips couldn't move. I was so panicked, Ky." She ended with a whisper and I shushed her, embracing her in my arms again and rubbed my hand up and down her back while whispering soothing things.

"I'm here now, everything's gonna be alright. We'll get through this. Don't you worry anymore. It's alright." I tried soothing her as I put my chin on her shoulder. "It's okay now." I whispered, not knowing whether I was trying to convince myself or her.

The next morning, visiting her was the first thing I did. I prayed to God on my way to the hospital that this was real and not just some messed up dream. I entered the hospital with a somewhat strange feeling in my heart and I was ready to blow when I saw an annoyingly familiar dirty blonde hair standing beside the bed with her hand in Zac's.

Cold dread settled on my heart as I gulped and held back the tears that are threatening to spill. "What are you doing in here?" I asked no one in particular as I slipped in between the both of them and Irene. I heard a gasp behind me and Irene's hand hitting my arm lightly. "Kylie! Don't be rude. They're guests and besides, I thought you would know her. I see that you haven't so let me introduce you guys-"