chapter thirteen

He had his own car luckily I didn't have to take a Lyft. His car was a Porsche, deep red Porsche. It was beautiful yes but not as beautiful as alejandros car. I really hoped to not have compared them both, it wasn't a competition.

One has my heart already..I hope.

As we drive I take in everything as it passes by, everything is so beautiful during the night and I wished I could be out here forever....but I knew wishes didn't come true and I was back to reality.

"So bad news is....since it's so late there are no movie theaters open right now...but the good news is...there is fast food places or food trucks we could try" he finally spoke and my stomach grumbles in approval. I hadn't eaten all day except a few scones from work which was surprisingly easy to make.

"That's fine...let's eat some greasy food!" I whoop and he laughs beside me, his laugh more of a deep rumble from his stomach. His laugh was genuine though, real.

We continue to drive even more and I realize there are no cars on the road but us, and a car behind us. Its too dark to see but it's in the shape of a truck with no headlights. Wierd yes but I didn't think anything of it.

We finally stop at a diner that seemed to be open for twenty-four hours. It looked trashy and horrible....fuck it.

"How did you find this place?" I ask Austin, as I step out the car and meet him at the door. He opens it for me and I nod graciously.

"Please...I know all the best places" he boasts and stepping inside the smell of hash browns hits my nose and it smells heavenly.

Luckily it's pretty empty as we make our way inside, finding a table near the back. The windows were clear and looking at the sky it was so beautiful during the night.

"I'll be right with y'all" a guy speaks with a southern accent and I smile warmly, this place feeling better by the minute. It wasn't cold, it was warm and smelled beautiful.

"So...tell me...why don't you have a car?" Austin asks and I shake my head, hearing the teasing coming on.

"Because...well I don't know my dad is always busy he never really taught me how to drive".

"What about your mom?" He asks and it hits like water poured down my back, ice cold water. I tense for a second and try to speak but no sound comes out.

"No hey sorry I'm sorry. No personal shit got it. You didn't push any boundaries so I won't either. Let's just stay on the fact that you can't drive" he changes the subject and I sigh heavily, grateful he's got such a huge ego.

"I will eventually...when I get my first paycheck...speaking of which how much will I be getting?" I lean forward.

He laughs and then goes serious, shaking his head in shame.

"How dare you? Using me for money? The audacity " he rolls his eyes and I laugh at him, enjoying his company quite more than I expected.

"Okay....let's do something...stupid..ready?" He speaks and before he can finish the waiter comes over with a menu and hands us both one.

"Thank you" I smile and he nods warmly.

"Okay....double truth or double dare?".

"What the fuck is that? What are we kids?" I snicker, looking over the menu.

"Yes we are...childish. now pick one this is a good opportunity to get to know each other! We work together remember? You could be a murderer " he clutches his heart and I sigh, contemplating this option.

"Okay I pick truth."

He leans back and considers his questions.

"Tell me about that best friend of yours...carol".

I smile thinking about her.

"She's..I love her. We met during freshman year. We had the same gym class and got partnered up. She was so wild and chaotic and so energetic that she grew on me like alot. She had been there for such a long time and shes...more of a sister than best friend. I wouldn't be here without her" I smile as memories of carol fill my head.

He sees me  smiling and gives me a genuine smile, nodding his head in approval.

"Hmm mm...okay okay. She sounds really awesome".

I nod.

"Tell me about your dad now.."

"He's...my everything. We grew up together, he was always there for me. He's such an amazing cook and he cares alot for me and...I care for him too much to let anything happen to him. I understand he's a grown man but my dad is really sensitive and he thinks he's gotta find another woman to....replace my mom but he doesn't. He can be happy alone I just can't seem to get him to get that".

I hadn't realized I had said such a personal thing, it feels like I'm drunk and I'm speaking out of my ass. Maybe I shouldn't talk this much...he is my boss yeah but I...felt like I could get too comfortable to the point where I wouldn't stop saying anything personal.

"Now you..." I speak quickly changing the subject.

The waiter comes back and I tell him I'll take the same thing as Austin just so he can go away so Austin can answer.

"Double truth" he sighs.

"Okay...tell me about your best friend..or someone close to you".

He shakes his head but speaks anyways.

"Well....okay I know you like to laugh but my mom was my best friend. She was my everything growing up with her I never got in at school or anything, apparently when you like reading kids won't hang out with you because your "too wierd" or something. So people didn't wanna be friends with me, the only person I really had was my mom..that's..all well my dad too but he was always working..traveling and all that fun shit..." He trials off and there's a flicker of sadness that crosses his eyes but is quickly covered with a glazy look.

"I'm..really sorry. seriously " I tell him and he shrugs.

"Second question?".

I consider this, I didn't wanna bring anything painful up...not for him or me.

"What did you order?".

"The bacon extravaganza".

I feel myself smile because I hadn't known he liked bacon as much as I did.