Chapter 1-5

Chapter 1: Su Family's Embroidery

It was the twenty-third spring of the Republic of China, in Suzhou.

On a Spring morning of the third lunar month, the drizzle that had been ongoing for several days had dissipated, and the bright morning sun was hanging onto the branches.

The chirping of birds and the fragrance of flowers arrived in the wind, accompanied by the opening of the morning market with people coming and going. The market is located in Suzhou's downtown square, a place similar to the courtyards of the Beijing period. Servants were already busy with the cleaning work at hand or mixing with the rice and coriander in the big kitchen; a new day had begun.

Overlooking the famous "Su Embroidery Home" in Suzhou City, the Su Family Courtyard Mansion, where several small courtyards are distributed in a well-ordered manner, among which are the winding brick paths, interspersed with elegant pavilions and a lake. On both sides are lush and neat bushes of flowering trees. The person in charge of the Su family mansion seemed to be a person who knew how to enjoy and appreciate.

"Where's your Young Lady?" Su Tingyi, the eldest son of Su's Head Master, ignored the maids and servants greeting him good morning. He hurried into a small and exquisite courtyard, into a bright embroidery room facing the rising sun, and toward the two maids who were sorting out embroidery threads.

The two maids looked at each other, feeling rather strange. One of the maidservants, who was slightly taller, quickly lowered her eyes and replied, "Replying to the Elder Young Master, the Young Lady got up early in the morning and picked up the large Su embroidery that will be exhibited the day after tomorrow, and went to the Old Master. The person delivering the message said it was the Young Master who requested this." After speaking in a low tone, she looked at the young master's face and realized that someone else must have used the young master's name. 

Su Tingyi raised his eyebrows, and then turned around in a hurry to go out, rushing to the old Master's courtyard, the oldest in the Su Family.

Before he could enter, he heard exclamations. Su Tingyi frowned, and his pace became faster

"A'fen, go inform the Master, I'll go check the courtyard."

"Yes!"

With the sound of hurried footsteps, two maids with terrified faces rushed from the direction of the old Master's main courtyard to the courtyard gate.

"What happened?" Su Tingyi called to these two maids who were hurrying with their heads down, not paying attention to any incoming people.

"Ah! Eldest Young Master!" The two maids seemed to have grasped a backbone and almost cried with joy.

"What happened? Did you see the Eldest Lady? Or is it the old Master..." Su Tingyi asked eagerly, seemingly disregarding them rudely grabbing his sleeves.

"Eldest Young Master, it's... it's the Eldest Lady... the Eldest Lady she..." One of the maids was already frightened, and the other maid answered a few words incoherently.

After Su Tingyi grabbed a few words, he stopped asking them. He pushed them away and hurried to the old Master's courtyard. Damn it! It's all his fault that he didn't realize it fast enough. If something were to happen to Shuilian, he would definitely not let the mother and daughter go! No matter how favored the second concubine was!

While still fuming, the old Master's main courtyard appeared in front of him. Su Tingyi pushed open the gate to the main courtyard, strode in, and shouted eagerly, "Shuilian! Shuilian!"

She was not in the hall, not in the side hall, not in the left wing. Su Tingyi searched the rooms one by one until he came to the right wing with the curtain half-hanging. He smelled a fishy smell and stepped in quickly. The scene that appeared made him almost fall to the ground.