Chapter 31-35

Chapter 31: New Home

The house had changed a lot from when it was just purchased.

From far away, one is able to see the black roof tiles, white walls, natural bricks, and red columns. The colors were fresh, clear, and clean.

The door facing the road from Fan Hua Town had a hanging red lantern on each side.

The house was enclosed by a neatly arranged man-tall phoebe fence.

Entering the courtyard, other than the cherry tree on the right surrounded by a short retaining wall made of broken pieces of bricks, there was also a wooden bench facing the sun that could seat two people. On the other side, along the phoebe fence, is a two meter wide, five meter long flower bed with many uncommon flowers of various species. The rest of the open space was paved with bricks. It was clean and without a speck of dust.

Two flights of black brick stairs were added one meter away from the main house door.

The three rooms were arranged for distinct uses.

The middle was the main room. Near the entrance, a large east-facing kang (heated floor) can be seen built on the west wall. It was big enough to fit four people. On top of the kang was a wide table with several drawers. On that table was a large white ceramic plate that was filled with peanuts, melon seeds, and dried fruits. Four crimson red pillows with golden embroidery at the ends leaned on the sides of the table.

South of the large kang was a display case with about ten slots of various sizes. Each slot contained many decorations rarely seen in a farmer's house, such as wood carvings, root carvings, and porcelain. Although they are nice to look at, they were of no use to the farmers. Su Shuilian had searched a whole day in the plaza to find these treasures and spent two silver taels on them.

Next to the display case was a lounge chair resting on the wall. The chair also had a gold-thread embroidered pillow made of red fabric. The pillows matched really well with the blood beech wood of the furniture.

There were on the east wall of the room. Between the chairs was a table holding

With the double doors opened on the south side of the house, the warm bright rays reflected on the sparkling clean display case, forming a dazzling five-color halo.

On the east side was the bedroom with all of the furniture made of Jichi wood.

There was a two meter long that faced north. The bed was already covered with a thin, white-flowered sheet. The bed curtains were loosely held open by two wooden hooks. On both sides of the bed entrance were short cabinets that contained their socks and clothing. Between the two cabinets and right before the bed laid a palm-tall .

By the window behind the bed was a clothing rack with two levels, a stool, and a matching purple lace cotton curtain that discreetly divided the room. This effectively created a simple dressing room.

South of the large bed, on the east wall, was a five drawer cabinet one and a half meter tall and a three drawer shoe cabinet.

Right by the bed were three clothing trunks stacked on top of one another. Beside that was a man-tall top-lidded cupboard for storing blankets. Further down was the entrance leading to the main room. The entrance was covered by the same purple fabric used as the bed curtain.

Under the south window of the bedroom was a wide dressing/vanity table. Jewelry and gauze filled compartments of various sizes. On the table was a large oval mirror big enough to reflect the upper torso.

On the right side of the dressing table, not too far from the door leading to the main room, was a two tier tall flower stand at the corner of the room. On the bottom was a pot containing five golden chrysanthemums, while on top were narcissuses with thick green stems in the water.