Chapter 46-50

Chapter 46: Let's Spend The Future Mid-Autumn Festivals* Together

(Mid-Autumn Festival: the traditional moon-viewing festival on the 15th of the eighth lunar month)

"You accepted Dabao as a disciple?" Su Shuilian smiled and asked. She helped Lin Si Yao dry his hands from washing some vegetables at the river. She had finally completed the paired phoenixes piece after three days and she felt much lighter because of it. Although she did not clearly hear everything that had happened earlier this afternoon, she trusted that he would handle the situation so she did not rush out. But in the end, curiosity aroused in Xicui as she peeked out the window and was able to witness the outcome. It seemed that he had accepted Dabao's request. 

"Nm." Lin Si Yao nodded his head, flashed a smile at her, rolled up his sleeves, and started to cook.

The food was brought over by Aunt Lao. He was still cleaning the fur then and did not reject her offer. Just when Xicui went back home, he had given her a musk deer to bring home.

Although they had hunted many games, with two foxes, three musk deer, one badger, and three hares, the wolves were very possessive with their rations. They would lay next to it and stare at it. However, they could not beat Lin Si Yao's powerful aura: every time he would give away a game, their hearts would feel pain.

They watched their owner and Xicui walk out of the house, the latter looked happy as she took a fat musk deer out of the gates. They finally put down their high vigilance, and acted coyly, asking Su Shuilian for meat. They wanted barbecued meat, they didn't want that tasteless raw meat like yesterday.

Su Shuilian arranged the plates on the table. When she turned and saw Lin Si Yao's fluid movements of sauteing garlic and garland chrysanthemum leaves, Su Shuilian became confused. Didn't he say that he was unfamiliar with cooking and farming? How come it looks like he is very proficient at it?

Su Shuilian became ashamed, it seems that it was actually only her who was ignorant.

"Blanking out again?" Lin Si Yao placed the sauteed garland chrysanthemum leaves onto the table before he patted her head, laughed, and asked.

"Ah." Su Shuilian quickly came back from her daze and tried to fix the strayed hair on her Lingyun bun hairstyle. She shyly glanced at Lin Si Yao who had moved back to the stove to cook. She inched closer to him, "A Yao..."

"What is it?" Lin Si Yao stirred the spices into the rabbit meat before closing the lid to let it simmer for half an hour. He then turned around and helped Su Shuilian sit down on the table before he sat in the opposite seat. He peeled a clove of garlic, intending to use it to marinate tomorrow.

Su Shuilian had wanted to take some garlic and help him peel, but was stopped by Lin Si Yao, "I can just do it myself." He did not want her soft silky hands to be sullied by such pungent odor.

"A Yao..." She felt wronged when he did not let her even do such a simple thing, could it be in his eyes, she was that useless? "The house chores, I should also have to do some." There was a bit of anger in her voice.

When Lin Si Yao heard this, he looked up to see her slightly red eyes. It was then he realized that she had misunderstood his words.

He put down the garlic in his hands and wiped his hands before he squatted in front of Su Shuilian, "Shuilian, I don't mean anything else. These... they smell bad, if you don't believe me, here, smell it..." He placed his hands near her nose and laughed when he saw her frown. He hugged her and let her sit on his lap. He buried his head into her shoulder, and softly explained, "I don't want your hands to be dirtied by these pungent things. Plus, I can just endure it myself, and I enjoy doing so."