Chapter 56-60

Chapter 56: In Love and Inseparable

NSFW warning~

Su Shuilian's sudden change to a healthy physique was of course attributed to her discovery of the Jade Fairy's Essence. Although she had only taken two small sips, it was enough to alter her previously weak body.

And as for the rest of the Jade Fairy's Essence in the small gourd that she had collected, it was placed at the bottom of the coat box. After all, there was no guarantee that maybe someday she wouldn't need it again...

After placing the bowls on the table, Su Shuilian walked to the cabinet to take out a jar of pickled cucumbers and radishes, placing some on a small blue and white dish. These pickled dishes were made by Su Shuilian after Aunt Lao had taught her.

Right before autumn, a large amount of tomatoes, cucumbers, and crisp melons were harvested from the southern courtyard garden. All of these fresh vegetables could not be finished in a short amount of time and also could not be left for a long time. She was in a dilemma before Aunt Lao came with Xicui to chat/gossip and had casually mentioned pickling them.

Oh yeah! Su Shuilian's eyes brightened. She was very excited and requested Aunt Lao to teach her how to pickle the vegetables.

As one of the most capable poniang of Fan Hua Town, Aunt Lao was able to teach her multiple different ways of pickling vegetables, such as using rice vinegar, soy sauce, salt solution, or even bean paste. In short, it was enough for Su Shuilian to use to make all sorts of pickled vegetables from the harvested tomatoes, cucumbers, and crisp melons.

And during late autumn, a large amount of radishes were harvested from the southern courtyard garden. Su Shuilian had picked out a few to be made into pickled radish in osmanthus sauce.

Of course, Su Shuilian contributed greatly in making these vegetables, from relaying the instructions, and occasionally passing over tools, jars, and such. The manual labor, or activities that could cause injuries, such as chopping, cutting, carving, soaking, marinating, and storing, were all done by Lin Si Yao.

He would not allow her to touch cold water, not allow her to hold a knife, not allow her to stain herself.... In short, there were thousands of "not alloweds".

However, the pickled radish dish's scented osmanthus were personally picked and dried by her.

"Did you come up with this yourself?" After taking a few bites of the Shijin rice, Lin Si Yao suddenly broke the quiet atmosphere.

"Yes, is it not good?" Su Shuilian halted her movements and set her chopsticks down as she shyly looked up and explained, "I have eaten this before and knew what ingredients were needed to make this dish. I just didn't know the proportions or the right amount of heat needed to make it."

"Idiot, it's delicious." Lin Si Yao smiled and replied, "I have never eaten this type of rice before and was just curious." He never knew rice could be used to make this type of dish. Peas, corn kernels, diced carrots, diced cucumbers, diced tofu, and bacon, along with rice; with a variety of colors, it was both visually appealing and appetizing.

This was one of the traditional staple foods of Yangzhou (prefecture level city in Jiangsu). It was also very popular during the Suzhou generation. The Su House occasionally had this nutritious dish on the table for breakfast. It was one of Su Shuilian's favorite dishes. However, Su house was more refined as they put more ingredients into this dish and used glutinous rice, which made it more tasty.

Nevertheless, Su Shuilian, who was able to obtain Lin Si Yao's sincere approval, was very happy.

Does that mean that he will be more lenient with her and allow her to go into the kitchen more often?