Chapter 21

A/N: I promise. I am working on this story. However, I have been working on others more. If you want me to update this before I actually do, feel free to tell me to update, but please give me about three days to do so.

Thanks

~Rissa

_______________________________________________________________________________

I finished the tea before my Familiar came back like Carter wanted me to do, my mind reeling over the information that I was given but didn't know how to digest, not yet, at least.

I set the cup down and looked at my Familiar and then at him. "Well?" I asked and raised an eyebrow, deciding that I would think about it later. "What do we do now?"

"Well, we train, of course," Carter said and grinned when he saw me scowl. "Come on now, I want to see what you can do, Synnie Bear."

Kala pricked her ears and stared at me and Carter with amusement in her eyes. "Synnie Bear?" she asked curiously. She raised an eyebrow and looked at me before she looked at Carter, and I bit back a groan of annoyance while my face turned slightly red. "Why Synnie Bear?"

Carter's grin grew wider while he looked at me and then at my Familiar. "Because she is as cuddly as a little teddy bear," he said. "She is so warm and nice to hold." He made the motion of squeezing me, and I rolled my eyes and scowled. "And all you want to do is squeeze her real tight and tell her that she is pretty."

"And that is how you have ended up with multiple broken noses, Carter," I scolded, and his grin grew wider. I scowled and narrowed my eyes, and he looked at me innocently. "Do you want more than just a broken nose?" I asked and raised an eyebrow.

Carter shrugged and looked smug. "It wouldn't have been the first time a female had threatened me," he teased, and my scowl deepened. "And it won't be the last." His grin grew even wider, and I knew what he was going to say but had no control over it. "Isn't that right, Synnie Bear?" he asked and raised an eyebrow.

I sighed and rolled my eyes before I shook my head, annoyed.

Don't get me wrong; I was happy to have another human here with me, the isolation killing me more than I thought it would. However, that did not mean I wasn't a fan of the company that I was given, especially since this male knew which buttons to press to get me super annoyed with him.

"This is going to be amusing," Kala said and looked between us. She was amused with the whole thing, and I knew that was going to be the only thing she saw while we were with each other to get me trained for what lay ahead in the future.

"To you," I shot back, earning a laugh from Carter. I sent her an annoyed look before I looked at Carter. "Don't say that it will be amusing to you, too," I scolded, and he closed his mouth. "I already know that it will be for you because you love to get under my skin and see what ways you can torture me."

Carter cleared his throat and stood taller while he winked and looked smug. "It's not torture, Synnie Bear," he said in his lecturer tone, and I rolled my eyes and scowled. "If you want to be tortured, I could show you what it is like to be tortured, especially since I am now your teacher and get to teach you everything there is to know about this world." He winked again and smiled innocently, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

Groaning, I wrinkled my nose and pursed my lips, annoyed. I had no idea what Carter had planned for me and knew that it was in my best interest to keep my mouth shut if I didn't want to do what he had planned as "punishment" for me.

Carter nodded and smiled, amused. "Good," he said with a small chuckle in his voice. "I see that we have come to an agreement." He raised an eyebrow, and the smile turned into a small smirk while I scowled. "Now, was that so hard?"

I groaned and slumped my shoulder's in my defeat before I folded my arms across my chest and stood taller. I stayed silent and pouted while Carter looked at me with a smug expression on his face.

Carter chuckled and stood before he stretched and yawned. "Come on," he said and gestured for me to stand. "Let's get to work, shall we?" He raised an eyebrow and cocked his head while he studied me, waiting for me to stand. "Let's see what had stuck with you when Kala trained you, shall we?" He raised his eyebrow higher, and a spark of amusement and merriment filled his eyes.

Kala scoffed and rolled her eyes. She didn't say a word, but I could tell that she was annoyed with Carter, especially with the look she was giving him. She didn't know why he had to say it like that, and I could tell that it offended her, and it did hurt her, even though she wouldn't admit it.

I glanced at my Familiar before I looked at him. "I think that whatever she taught me has stuck with me, Carter," I replied in a tone that had him grinning. I scowled and narrowed my eyes at the giant, and he looked at me and grinned innocently. "I might not be able to do it perfectly, but it has stuck."

Carter chuckled and bowed his head, not fazed by my attitude. "Of course, Princess," he said. He cleared his throat and grew serious. "Come," he said and gestured for me to start to go outside. "Let's go outside and get ready to work."

I stayed silent and nodded before I stood. "Fine," I said. "Let's go and get this over with." I paused and gave him a weird look, my heart pounding hard in my throat. I cleared my throat and shifted on my feet. "What if..?" I shook my head and trailed off, not knowing what to say or how to form it into words that didn't make me sound weak.

Carter's eyes grew softer as if he knew what I was trying to get at without saying a word. He dipped his head in acknowledgment and cleared his throat to hide a chuckle. "Nothing will happen to me since I'm working here," he said with a small smile. "Now, come on, Synnie Bear, let's get going."

I held back an eye roll and started to walk to the door but was pulled into a hug instead and became stiff.

Carter hugged me, not caring that I didn't hug him back but chuckled. "Come on, now, Synnie Bear," he teased and patted my arm. "I haven't seen you in a long time. All you need to do is give me a hug, and then we can see what your Familiar has taught you."

I held back an eye roll but did what he said and hugged him. I buried my head into his shoulder and closed my eyes while he hugged me back tighter.

"It's good to be here with you, though, Synnie Bear," he said, his voice cracking while he whispered. He placed a kiss on my forehead, and my throat closed when I felt the warmth that he felt for me. "You'll make a fine queen."

"Promise?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper while I hugged him, and Carter smiled and hummed while he nodded.

"Promise. Now, come on, let's get your training started." And with that, he pulled away and walked outside, and I followed him with my Familiar by my side, the hug not talked about between us.

Gods, let this help, please, I silently begged. I don't want to disappoint my father more than I have...

Please.