Chapter 27

I opened my eyes early the next morning and laid in bed with Kala beside me. My whole body was half relaxed but also tense because something woke me up, even though I had no idea what.

Tap, tap, tap, something tapped on the window, but Kala didn't seem to wake up or care. Tap, tap, tap.

I bit back an annoyed sigh and closed my eyes again before I turned around and faced the other direction, deciding to try and fall asleep again.

Tap, tap, tap. Tap, tap, tap.

Kala sighed and woke up to the sound of tapping at the window. "Will you answer that?" she asked while she lifted her head and turned to look at me. "It's for you."

I bit back a small groan before I turned to look at her, opening my eyes because I knew that there was no chance of me falling asleep again. "Who is it?" I asked while I raised an eyebrow in question.

"Zën," Kala said. She furrowed her brows and cocked her head while she studied me. "Can you still not hear him?"

Tap, tap, tap.

I sighed and shook my head. "No," I said. "I can not."

Kala gave me a disapproving look and pursed her lips in annoyance. "Hmph," she said, and I paused and looked at her through narrowed eyes.

"What?" I asked while I raised an eyebrow in question. I set my jaw and narrowed my eyes further. "What is it? Why are you looking at me like that?"

Tap, tap, tap.

Kala sighed and shook her head. "Nothing," she said, flicking her tail. She cleared her throat and gestured to the door. "Go ahead and go to him. See if you can't fix this. You are going to need him, Synthia."

I set my jaw and narrowed my eyes. I didn't say a word while I looked at her and then at the door, my heart aching in pain and sadness.

"Go," Kala said before she hopped off the bed. She stretched and yawned, flicking her tail to one side. "You will hate yourself if you don't."

I hesitated before I slowly nodded. I didn't say a word before I cleared my throat and shifted toward the edge of the bed, but I didn't get off just yet, not knowing if I had the energy to do this or not.

But I needed him just as much as he needed me...

I had to figure out what happened to the bond between us, praying that it was an easy fix and wouldn't take that much work to get it fixed, even though I knew that it would take a lot of work for it to last, especially a second time.

"Go, Synthia," she said with a small warning in her voice. She narrowed her eyes and scowled. She flicked her tail back and forth in annoyance while she looked at me.

I bit back a small sigh before I shook my head and did what she told me to do and stood. I moved a hand across my face before I walked over to where I had placed my shoes the night before.

Tap, tap, tap, Zën knocked on the window some more. Tap, tap, tap.

I held back an eye roll before I grabbed my shoes and started to place them on, ignoring Zën's knocking. "Where's Carter?" I asked and looked at Kala while I tied my shoes. "He's not here."

Kala bit back a small sigh before she shook her head. "I don't know," she said before she cleared her throat and flicked her tail. "He is somewhere."

I narrowed my eyes and scowled while I stared at her, not knowing if I believed her or not because I had a feeling that she did know where he went.

Kala bit back a small sigh before she shook her head. "Finish getting ready, and then go see Zën. He's been waiting patiently for you."

Tap, tap, tap, he knocked on the window again, and I gave her a pointed look while I raised both of my eyebrows in unison.

Patient my ass...

She sighed and shook her head, looking very annoyed. "As patient as he can be," she grumbled under her breath. "But that doesn't matter. Go."

I bit back a small groan before I slowly nodded. "Ok," I said and stood. "I am going." I cleared my throat and walked to the door, praying that whatever happened wouldn't hurt me in the end.

I didn't know what would happen if it did...

***

Zën was prepared to tap on the window again but stopped as soon as I opened the door. He cocked his head and stared at me, and I had a feeling he wanted to know if I could hear him or not.

"I still can't," I said and shook my head. "I don't know how I did it, Zën, but I still can't hear you."

Zën's wings and whole body sagged in disappointment, and he looked upset and hurt but also guilty. He looked at Kala, who came up behind me before he looked at me again, waiting for her to tell me what he said.

Kala bit back a small sigh before she shook her head. "He is saying sorry again," she said softly, looking at me. "And he is wondering if you want to go on a ride with him."

I set my jaw and narrowed my eyes a little. "Do I have a choice?" I asked and raised an eyebrow in question, and Zën rolled his eyes and scowled.

"He says that you do," she said. "He doesn't know why you think you don't have a choice on the matter." She paused and flicked her tail in annoyance. "However, I do suggest that you go ahead and ride him and see if you can't get that bond with each other working again."

I bit back a small sigh before I nodded. "Ok," I said and gestured for him to move out of my way. "Go ahead and back up, Zën," I said. "Let me exit the house so that I can go ahead and get on your back. Ok?"

Zën nodded and backed up, looking at Kala before he looked at me again, and Kala rolled her eyes and scowled.

"I know, Zën," she said in a cold voice that held a bit of annoyance in it. "Now, let's go ahead and get started, shall we? I know that Syn is ready to do it." She looked at me before she looked at him again.

Zën rolled his eyes and flicked his wings up and down before he laid down, looking at me again. He cocked his head and stared at me, and I had a feeling that he wondered if I was ready to get on.

"He is wondering if you are ready to g-"

"I know, Kala," I said, interrupting her and nodded. "I didn't need to have that bond between us to know that is what he meant." I cleared my throat and moved a hand through my hair, shaking my head with a small grimace on my face. "Yes," I said and walked over to him. "I am ready for that ride, Zën."

Zën's eyes became filled with relief, and he nodded. He looked at Kala before he looked at me when I made it to his side.

"He's relieved and grateful that you aren't going to fight doing this with him," Kala said softly.

I held back an eye roll and bit back a small sigh. "I'm too tired to do that," I admitted before I cleared my throat and moved a hand across my face. "Can you let Carter know that I am gone?" I asked and looked at Kala with a raised eyebrow.

Kala nodded in confirmation and flicked her tail in annoyance. "I will," she said and took a step back into the house. "Good luck, you two. Make sure that you two are bonded together by the time that you are back. Ok?" She raised an eyebrow in question, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

"Ok, Kala," I said and moved next to Zën's side. I rubbed my hand across his neck, and Zën nuzzled my side. I could see the worry on his face and knew that he wanted this to work, and for some reason, I wanted this to work, too.

I needed him just as much as he needed me...

I got onto his back and looked at Kala, and Zën stood and flicked his tail. "We'll see you in a bit, Kala."

Kala nodded in confirmation before she took a step back, flicking her tail. "Good luck."

And with that, Zën and I left and flew somewhere whenever Zën wanted to take me, and I couldn't help but pray that nothing bad would happen to either of us, and we would get our bond back soon.