Chapter 23

Carter nodded and looked pleased. He cleared his throat before he grew serious, his eyes never leaving me. "Ready?" he asked and raised an eyebrow.

I didn't respond and nodded, pressing my lips into a thin line. I had no idea what he planned and prayed that it wouldn't harm me and that Kala wasn't right in saying that I wasn't ready for this, whatever this was.

Carter didn't say a word, but I could tell that he knew what I was thinking when he sent me a mischief wink, and I rolled my eyes and scowled.

He took a deep breath and grew serious before he threw a magic ball at me, and I instinctively dodged it without using the things around my wrist. "See?" he said and looked at Kala who was watching us. "You have nothing to worry about, Kala. Now, hush. I know Syn and know what she can and can't do."

I held back an eye roll. "Very funny, Carter," I said, coldly, and he looked at me and grinned. "Now, was that all you got, or are you able t-" I wasn't able to finish my sentence when he threw another one at me.

I ducked and blocked a second one he sent my way, using the shields that I created. "What the fuck?" I seethed and glared when I saw him grinning at me. "Carter, what was that for?"

"That was to see if you are paying attention," he replied, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes. "Good work on that."

I held back another eye roll and took a deep breath before I let it out, slowly.

I was ready, or at least as ready as I could be when I had no idea what Carter was going to do nor when he was going to do it.

Carter gave me that Cheshire grin he was known for, and I scowled and narrowed my eyes. "Well?" he asked and raised an eyebrow while he made this small orb in his hand and started to toss it like a baseball. "Are you ready?"

I bit back a sigh before I slowly nodded and set my jaw, waiting for whatever Carter had planned. "I am," I said. I licked my lips and cleared my throat while I waited for him to throw the ball again.

Carter didn't have me wait long and grinned while he threw another ball of energy followed by three more close behind it.

"C-"

"Shut up, Kala," I said while I dodged the first attack and blocked the second and third with my shields.

"Good," he said and nodded in approval. "Make a weapon and start blocking the balls that way."

I held back an eye roll before I nodded. I took a deep breath before I let it out and broke the shield into smaller pieces, but I kept an eye on Carte because I knew that he would try something stupid.

Of course, Carter decided to be a pain in the ass and threw a ball of magic while I was "unprepared" with nothing to protect myself.

"Car-!"

I bit back a small gasp of shock and quickly flicked my wrist, stopping the ball of magic in front of me and watched it with wide eyes.

"Good," Carter praised and nodded while Kala watched us with wide eyes and a look of shock was on her face because she thought I would have gotten hurt. "I knew that you would be able to do that."

I held back an eye roll and scowled. "Did you have to scare my Familiar with that?" I asked and tossed the ball of magic to the side.

"Yes," Carter said amused while he smirked. "If I knew that you wouldn't be able to do it, then I wouldn't have done it." He winked, and I rolled my eyes and scowled, but I knew that what he said was true.

He wouldn't have done that if he didn't think I wouldn't have been able to handle it.

Carter cleared his throat and clapped his hands together. "Now, go ahead and make a weapon. It doesn't matter what type it is because we'll practice with all of them to make sure that you are prepared for whatever it is to come your way."

I nodded and licked my lips before I created a bo staff. I took a deep breath and released it while I got ready for whatever Carter threw my way.

"Good," he said before he threw something at me, and I flicked it to the side. "Nice, Syn. Can you block two of them at the same time?" he asked, and I shrugged.

"Possibly," I replied. "Why?"

"So that I can do this," he said and threw two at me before he threw another two.

"Carter!" I exclaimed but used the staff to knock them away from me, and he busted out laughing. "Really?"

"Of course," he said and nodded while he grinned. "What? Did you not expect that?" He raised an eyebrow in amusement.

I scowled and narrowed my eyes while he snickered again. I stopped another ball of energy when he threw it at me before I sent one his way.

Carter flicked it away without batting an eye and raised an eyebrow. "Oh, so that is how you are going to do it?" he asked and raised his eyebrow higher. He dipped his head closer to his chest and grinned, mischievously.

"Carter," Kala warned while she stood up from her spot. Her ears were closer to the back of her head while she looked at him, nervously. "D-"

"Don't," I said, interrupting her while I grabbed the staff tighter and waited for Carter to do whatever. "Let him do this without interruptions. I'll be alright."

"Are you sure?" Kala asked while she looked between the two of us. She looked between us again, and I could tell that she was worried and didn't know what we were going to do.

"I am," I confirmed and nodded again while I glanced at Kala before I looked at him. I took a deep breath before I released it while I held the staff tighter. "Give me your best shot, Carter."

"Of course, Your Highness," he said and bowed his head. "Your wish is my command."

And with that, he started to train me in a way that he only knew how.