Chapter 20

I leaned back in my seat and studied him. My hands were wrapped tightly around the cup, but it wasn't anywhere near breaking. My mind was blank, and I had no idea what questions to ask or if he would be able to answer them. "So you are a giant," I said, even though I knew that he was because that was the only thing that could come out.

Carter nodded and did not seem fazed about me, stating the obvious fact that he was a giant. "I am," he confirmed.

"Why do you live here?"

Carter shrugged. "Because this is where I grew up." He cleared his throat and shifted in his seat before he took a sip of his tea. "There are different realms, just the one that we live on," he said after the sip. "One of them is where I was born and lived until my family, and I were forced out."

"Why?"

"Almost everyone was kicked out." He set his teacup down on the table beside him and cleared his throat. He leaned forward and stared at me with brown eyes that were filled with pain and sadness. "The Moon Warriors do not just protect this part of the Earth," he said. "They protected the others as well."

"And I'm their leader," I said, and he nodded. I furrowed my brows and cocked my head. "Why am I the leader?" I asked before I narrowed my eyes when I saw the smirk that appeared on his face. "Don't state the obvious, Carter," I warned, and the smirk grew deeper. I narrowed my eyes further. "I'm serious."

"I thought you were Synthia," he stated matter of factually. He shrugged and looked nonchalant. "I guess I was wrong."

I rolled my eyes and scowled, and he grinned innocently. "Very funny," I replied dryly. "That joke is old." I held up a finger to stop him from opening up his mouth, and he closed it. "Don't do a mom joke, please," I begged. "I know that you like doing them, but still."

Carter grinned and shook his head. "I want to do two of them," he said. He cleared his throat and leaned back in his seat while he studied me and grew serious. "You are the next in line to the throne," he said. "I know you know that because that is how the system works." He gave me a pointed look, and I closed my mouth and pursed my lips. Carter beamed. "Good girl," he said, and I scowled.

"That is not funny either," I scolded when his grin grew.

He shrugged. "It is to me," he replied. Carter cleared his throat and gestured for me to continue drinking my tea, which laid on my lap with a hand around the warm surface. "You're going to need to finish that before your Familiar is back," he said. He watched while I took a sip of the tea and nodded. "You are the leader because you are respected," he said. "You have passed different tests that they have set up without you knowing."

I stayed silent and raised an eyebrow in question.

He shrugged. "They mainly deal with your ability to adapt," he replied. "And you have passed with flying colors." A smile appeared on his face, and pride filled his eyes while he looked at me. "Which I already knew that you would be able to do."

"Then why did I do them?" I asked.

He grew serious. "Because you have to face the man that has caused the dimensions so much trouble," he said. "You are their savior and their only hope for a life that they have been denied and a peace that they crave."

***

My whole body grew tense when he said that, and my breathing became slightly labored. My heart pounded hard in my chest, and I was sure that he could hear it. "What do you mean?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

Carter stayed calm while I panicked. He did not seem worried about my panic as if he knew that I would calm myself down in a matter of seconds. His breathing was even, and I began to focus my attention on his breathing and heartbeat, using that to calm myself down.

After a couple of minutes, he raised an eyebrow and studied me. "Better?" he asked, and I hesitated but nodded. He leaned back in his seat and studied me. "I mean that they are looking up to you to save them from the Sun Warrior," he said. "I am sure that you have figured that you were his missing piece?" He raised an eyebrow in question.

I hesitated but nodded. "I saw it in the vision thing that happened in the cave," I said, and he nodded as if he knew what I was talking about. "Do you know about that place?" I asked, and he nodded.

"I do," he confirmed.

"What is it?"

Carter smiled sadly and shook his head. "That is one thing I am not at liberty to say," he replied. He cleared his throat and grew serious. "That is with the Moon Warriors and Sun Warriors," he said. "I am a part of neither group."

"Then who can answer it?" I asked.

"Your father," he replied.

I pursed my lips and slowly nodded. "I can't see him, though."

"I know," He sighed and moved a hand through his hair before he grimaced. "You won't be able to see anyone else besides me not until after you have completed your training."

"Why?" I asked.

Carter shrugged, and his grimace grew deeper. "I don't know," he replied honestly. "I wish I did, but I don't." He cleared his throat and leaned back in his seat. "I'm not even allowed to be here with you to help."

"What changed?"

"A conversation between your father and your Familiar," he replied. He shrugged. "I was just told to find a way here and to have you or your Familiar let me in." He grimaced and rubbed the area where the mark had laid. "I didn't expect to be captured before I was almost here and made into a slave."