Chapter 10

I sat up with a gasp, my heart pounding in my chest. My whole body was tense as I waited for something else to happen, but nothing ever did. I was still in the cave like I had been, but this time, I was completely alone.

Whoever had been in here with me split as soon as I had touched the blue light and received those memories.

"Hello? Are you still in there?" someone asked, the voice sounding familiar. "Are you done?"

I groaned and closed my eyes, my head pounding. "I think so," I said, rubbing my head and trying to stop the pounding. I took a deep breath and stood on unsteady legs.

There was a pause. "You think so? Then why aren't you out yet?"

I closed my eyes, a wave of nausea washing over me and causing my stomach to turn. "Zën, I am about to throw up. Will you give me a minute?" I opened my eyes and started to make my way out of the cave slowly.

"Well, we have company, so... you might not want to throw up." He didn't sound that nervous, but I could tell that he didn't like whoever was out there.

"What type of company?" I asked, pausing mid-step. I was really not in the mood to fight someone and would rather find a safe place for the night and go to sleep. 

"Someone that you should meet and hates birds," a female voice said. There was a scowl, and I had a feeling that she wasn't a fan of Zën.

"I am a griffin, not a bird, you four-legged trash licker," Zën said with a hiss. "Why don't you go lick some cans and take her with you?"

I bit back a groan, not really in the mood to hear a fight. "Guys, please stop," I mumbled, my head still pounding. I began walking again, praying that they would stop fighting. However, they never did.

"Trash licker?" the female asked. "Trash licker? I am not a raccoon, bird brain. I will pull those feathers out and enjoy every minute of it."

I walked out to see a panther and Zën growling at each other. Both of them were almost ready to attack the other.

"Bird brain?" he asked. "Who are you calling bird brain?"

"Well, the one with the giant eagle head," she replied. "Who else?"

"Guys," I said again. My whole body was tense as I noticed the shadows lengthening. I might be some night princess, but I was not a fan of the dark. "Please, I am begging you both to stop fighting."

"I have, you know, I can kill you with my bird beak. One strike and you are dead; you queen of evil."

She growled, her ears flat against her head. "I am not evil," she hissed before trying to lunge at him.

"For the love of all things, will you two shut up!" I exclaimed, swiping my hand down the middle and creating this forcefield between the two of them.

Both of them had lunged at the other only to meet the force field. They stopped glaring at each other and looked to see me.

"Finally, you are here," Zën said. He got up and shook his body. "Now, you can tell this freak of nature that she can leave and never come back."

"Freak of nature?" the panther growled. Her lips were curled back into a snarl. "What do you mean by that?"

"I mean th-"

"Ok, there is no fighting between the both of you," I said, interrupting another fight. "Who are you?" I asked, looking at the panther.

"I am Kala, your Familiar," she said, sitting down. "All Moon Warriors have one."

I hesitated but nodded. "Do you know a place to stay? It is getting late, and I do not want to see those... things again."

Kala nodded her head. "Follow me," she said, standing. "You must be exhausted," she noted. "It has been a stressful day for you. Especially with your knee."

I furrowed my brows and padded forward. "How did you know about my knee?" I asked. I went over to my stuff and started to collect it.

"I am your Familiar," she said again. "I know what has happened to you. You only now see me because you have accepted your calling."

I paused in putting my sock on and looked at her. "My calling?" I asked, causing her to nod her head. "What calling?"

Kala smiled, but she didn't say a word about it. "Finish packing up so we can go. We can discuss everything in the morning."

I hesitated but nodded my head. "My father?" I asked, finishing putting on my socks and boots.

"Knows that you will not be home until you have completed your training. You will start training tomorrow."

Again, I nodded. "Ok..." I said, grabbing my bag and swinging it on my back. I grabbed my quiver and arrow before looking at her. "Lead the way."