Chapter 11

I followed Kala as she led Zën and me to wherever we needed to go. I was getting annoyed with their constant bickering, and it was almost causing me to find this... Sun Warrior and beg him to end everything, so I did not have to listen to them.

"Well, if you weren't such a-"

"Ok, enough," I said, interrupting Zën, glaring at him when he looked like he was about to speak. "We get it, you don't like Kala, and Kala doesn't like you, so can you two please stop fighting already? I'm surprised that we haven't been found yet with your constant bickering."

"Oh, that is because I am leading them on a different trail," Zën said, and I rolled my eyes. "You're welcome."

I scowled and narrowed my eyes at him. "Then why didn't you do that when we were being chased in the first place?" I asked. "Or could you?"

"Not really," Zën replied. "They already knew your trail, and when I let you on my back..." He glared at Kala when she snorted.

"Figures, you break down and let her on your back. I thought you said that you would never do that."

"Uh, he wasn't," I said, feeling annoyed with her behavior. "However, I had gotten injured beforehand and couldn't run as fast as he wanted me to."

"And, she was getting sick," Zën replied, coldly. "She could've gotten us both killed if I didn't help out, so you should be thanking me and not being such a brat."

Kala was about to say something but stopped when she caught sight of my look. "Fine," she growled out. "Thank you for saving her. I really do appreciate it."

"Was the sarcasm necessary?" I asked, and she smirked at me. I huffed and shook my head. "When are we going to the place that I am training?" I asked, changing the subject.

"We're close," Kala said. "There is a hut that you will be staying in until you have completed your training. You're going to have to do everything alone with no help."

I furrowed my brows, confused. I wouldn't be upset if I didn't have to see any people, but I wanted to know if I had to by myself. I had no idea what I needed to do and hoped that they would help me. "Even from you two or... just people?"

"Just people," Kala replied. She glanced at Zën, looking at him rather unimpressed that he was still following us. "And him as well."

"Good," Zën said sarcastically. He flicked his wings and his tail, looking at me. He wanted to leave, but there was a small part of him that didn't. He wanted to help me with whatever I had to do to spite her. "Release me from your hold so that I could go and fly off and do whatever." He glanced at Kala. "I do not want to be with her any longer."

"No fighting," I said, interrupting Kala from whatever she was trying to say. "Are you sure?" I asked, and he nodded. I narrowed my eyes at him, and he narrowed his eyes at me. "Will you come back if I called?" I asked.

"Why should I do that?" he asked. "I mean, I don't need you, and you don't need me. You have that... Butt Licker." He glanced at Kala, and she hissed and growled at me. He looked at me when I cleared my throat and rolled his eyes. "I apologize," he said to Kala.

"I am sure that I will need you," I replied, again changing the subject and interrupting Kala from talking. "Do you know where she is going to take me?"

"Of course," Zën replied, nodding his head. He looked rather relieved and hurt that I would "release" him as if he didn't really want to leave my side, but he didn't want me to know that he didn't want to leave.

"Then I release you," I said. I held my hand, stopping him from talking. "I do want you to be close enough so you can hear me call you. I am sure that we are going to have to do something, even though I have no idea what we are going to have to do."

"We're going to have to get to understand each other," Zën said, sounding rather disgruntled. "Since you are the only one that had been on my back. Do you still have the feather?"

"I think so," I replied. "I had stuffed it in my jeans pocket, but with everything that had happened..."

"Hmph." He stopped, and I stopped and turned toward him. He was preening his feathers, and I raised an eyebrow in question. "What?" he asked, looking up at me. "You had released me. You don't have to stay here with me."

"You want to do something. What do you want to do?"

Zën shrugged his shoulder. "I have no idea what you are talking about," he replied. "I want you to be on your merry way. You lost the feather that S- she had given you, and you don't need a new one."

I scowled and shook my head. "Whatever," I replied, getting tired of his behavior. "Just... come if I try to call you?"

Zën huffed and nodded his head. "I suppose so." He flicked his wings open and reared up a bit, his claws digging into the air. "Can I go now? I don't think you need me." He glared at Kala when she snorted before turning his gaze back to me.

"You may," I said. I took a deep breath and turned to look at Kala. "Can you show me where I am supposed to be going now?"

Kala gave Zën a hard look before looking at me. "Yes," she said. "Follow me." With that, she started to lead me before Zën grabbed hold of my bag.

"What?" I asked, pausing to look at him. I saw something in his mouth that looked like a bracelet. "What's that?" I asked, looking at him.

He rolled his eyes and made a signal for me to hold out my hand. He watched as I did and dropped the bracelet in my hand. "There, you can use that to contact me. Do not lose it. I will not make you a new one."

I nodded my head. "Thank you," I said, putting it on my wrist. I watched as it became part of my skin and had a feeling that I could never take it off. "Your kindness is greatly appreciated."

"It should be," Zën said, and I rolled my eyes. "I didn't need to give you that." He seemed sort of satisfied with my answer, even though there had been sarcasm in it.

"Let's go," Kala said, and I nodded. "You can contact him if need be, but I would suggest not contacting him."

"If I need him, I will contact him," I said, defending him. "I know that you two hate each other, but I am going to need you both. Do you two understand?"

Kala and Zën looked at each other and then at me. "Fine," Kala said. "But, since you had released him, he will leave now and come when you call."

I didn't reply and looked at Zën. "Stay close if you want. If not, you are free to travel. I'll contact you if I need you."

Zën nodded his head. "I will come," he promised. And with that, he flew away, somehow creating enough space for him to travel through.

I watched as he disappeared before looking at Kala. "Let's go," I said, and she nodded and walked away. I took a deep breath and let it out as I followed her, wishing that I hadn't sent Zën away. However, I knew that I had to keep my word, even though it wasn't something I wanted to do.