18 Forever (Danny Wagner)

You always hated driving. The traffic, the bad drivers and not to mention sitting in one spot for hours on end sometimes. So, you were ecstatic to see the familiar sign that read "welcome to Frankenmuth."

This was the first time you were coming home since graduating from college nearly 2 years ago. And despite being away for so long the town barely changed at all. It still looked the same, like a small Christmas wonderland.

Coming home was always hard for you. This town held so many memories and they seemed to be plastered on every street corner. Slowly, you pulled up to a stoplight and glanced out your window. You quickly regretted it when you saw Greta Van Fleet posters and shirts hanging in the front of a record store. Sighing you directed your attention to the light in front of you, praying that it would turn green.

You haven't spoken to the boys since you left for college almost 6 years ago. Life just became too busy for everyone. They were constantly on the road, and you spent all your free time in labs on campus. It's natural for friends to drift apart, right? Unless two of those friends were in love with each other and one of them left to be a world-famous band member while the other one left to be a nurse.

You couldn't help but turn back to that window display and stare at Danny's face printed on the poster along with their latest tour dates. It wasn't until the car behind you blew their horn that you realized the light had changed. Slowly you made your way home, not even really paying attention to the road.

The house was quiet when you entered, and you sort of enjoyed it. With your parents at work, you had time to settle in before you were bombarded with questions. You made your way upstairs to your bedroom at the end of the hallway. The door was still plastered with posters and stickers of various bands.

Upon opening the door, the room looked the same. Posters littered the walls, and your old record player was still set up on a table in the corner, but you knew it was different. The air was different and so were you. You were no longer the carefree 17-year-old that was going to travel the world with her friends. Now you were a 23-year-old nurse with student debt who hadn't seen her friends in years. You weren't sure you'd even recognize them anymore.

After taking a moment you decided to unpack. Since you were staying here for the foreseeable future you were not going to be digging through a suitcase every day. You had just hung up your last shirt when you sat down on the floor in the middle of your closet. You glanced around at all of your clothes stopping at one particular dress, your prom dress.

Sighing you thought back to the spring day when you picked it out. Your parents couldn't afford an expensive prom dress like other girls in your class so you told them you would wear one you already had, and it was up to Danny to help you choose.

"Why do I have to be here for this?" Danny complained from your bed.

"Because you're my date. And whatever I wear you have to get a tie to match." You yelled from inside your closet. "Now what about this one?" You asked making your way into the room.

"No offense but you're not 13 anymore. Is this the dress you wore to our 8th grade dance?" Danny questioned.

"Yes." Walking over to the mirror on your wall you noticed what Danny meant. You had to have grown 5 inches since 8th grade and you would not be able to sit in this dress. "Okay next." You yelled making your way back to the closet.

"Did Sam ever find a date?" You asked as you unzipped your dress.

"Yeah. He's going with Hannah." Danny yelled back.

"Hannah? From biology?" You unbuttoned the new dress and pulled it on.

"Yes. He told her Lindsey needs a Stevie so will you go to prom with me? I still think she had no idea who he was talking about. But you know she likes him so of course she said yes."