Study Buddy (Josh Kiszka)

You sat down on Josh's bed, throwing your backpack beside you. Life was busy. Between you being in school and your boyfriend constantly touring, it was hard to spend time together. Sometimes you only had two weeks together before Josh had to leave again, and this time was no different.

You were supposed to go out tonight, but your business law professor decided to move your exam up from Friday to Wednesday. You were crushed when he announced it at the end of class on Monday. Tonight was the only free night you had before Josh, and the rest of the guys left for a tour Saturday morning. But Josh had an idea. Instead of entirely scraping the night like you initially thought, he offered to order take-out and help you study. Even though he knew nothing about law, he said he would still be able to quiz you on your notes and that maybe explaining the information to someone would help you remember it.

"What are we studying tonight?" Josh asked, sitting down across from you.

You unzipped your backpack, pulling out your notebook and textbook. "Chapters seven and eight, torts and negligence."

"I don't even know what those words mean." Josh laughed.

"It's okay. I made flashcards." You reached back into your bag and pulled out a stack of notecards. The exam might only be on two chapters, but there was enough information to overwhelm anyone.

"Why am I not surprised? You've probably been studying for at least a week already." Josh grabbed the stack of notecards and began flipping through them. "Wow, Y/N, these are extremely detailed." He added as he flipped over a notecard about a case.

"Well, I'm not exactly sure what he's going to ask. He said there would be some definitions, and then we'll be given some cases and have to answer questions about them. I want to make sure I have all my bases covered." You explained.

"Since I know nothing about any of this, you tell me where you want to start." Josh handed you back the flashcards as he spoke.

"Um, why don't we start with my notes on chapter seven, since the chapters build off each other. Then at the end, you can ask me the flashcards because they're all jumbled up."

"I like that idea." Your boyfriend grabbed your notebook and flipped through the pages stopping at the one titled 'Chapter 7 - Intentional Torts.' He took a minute to admire the neatness and detailing of your notes before he began questioning you.

"Okay, first, let's start with what is a tort?"

"A tort is a civil wrongdoing for which you can receive compensation." You watched as Josh looked down at the notebook to see if you were correct.

"That's right." He smiled at you. "Now, how many types of torts are there, and can you name them?" He looked back down at the notebook as you answered.

"There are three types of torts, and they are intentional torts, unintentional torts which are also called negligence, and strict liability."

"Again, that's correct." Josh smiled at you.

This went on for the next two hours. Josh continued questioning you, and you continued to prove that you studied way too much for this exam.

"Okay, next question." Josh turned the page of your notebook as he spoke. "What are the five things someone must prove to have a negligence case?"

"Duty of care, breach of that duty," You counted on your fingers to help you keep track of how many you have said.

"So far, so good. You need three more." Josh assured.

"Wait, don't say anything. I can get them." You were sure you knew them. You were just blanking at the moment.

"Mutual assent?" You tried to say, but it came out as more of a question than a statement.