Phoenix Rises

When the sun shone through her window on that Saturday morning, Mei's eyes fluttered open heavily. Todoroki's smell was still all over her.

The day before was a blur now. She had told Shoto about her dad's Quirk and he had chosen to stay regardless. At the time, the guilt wasn't stronger than her yearn for him. Now that she was laying on her bed alone, guilt was all she could feel.

Her stomach turned and ached, making her curl into herself like shell. She stayed like that until her phone buzzed on the table beside her.

It was another text from Shindo.

In a moment of frustration, she threw the phone across the room, and it shattered against the wall.

Rubbing her face, she got up onto her feet and marched to the bathroom. Maybe a shower would make her feel less repulsive.

Saturdays were the days the rest of the class went off on their practical training - in other words, their internships.

Because Mei, Bakugo and Todoroki did not get their licenses, they would have to attend a make-up course instead.

The dorm was quiet as she made her way back to her room from the bathroom. Her wet hair was leaving a water stain down her back since she couldn't be bothered to blow dry it.

By her door, Todoroki was standing mindlessly looking at the floor with his hands in his front pockets.

"I called and it went straight to voicemail, so I figured I'd come by." he explained. "I hope you weren't trying to avoid me and you hate that I'm here."

It bothered her that she was the type of person that people would expect that type of behaviour from. But she had worked hard for years to make sure she was.

"Sorry, my phone is broken." she wasn't lying. The pieces were still scattered around her room floor. "I don't hate that you're here."

"Good." a slight smile graced his face. "I was going to walk you to our course."

It was unfortunate how easily this boy filled her stomach with butterflies. She had told him she might be killing him, and here he was, acting like a perfect dream.

After they left the 1-A classroom together the night before, they had walked in comfortable silence back to the dorms. There wasn't much else either of them had been comfortable enough to say at that point.

Now, he stood before her like she wasn't about to ruin his life. Or perhaps like he knew she was and didn't care.

Mei noticed Todoroki had been starring down at her leg, and it took her a moment to realize why. She was wearing shorts, and her bandages were showing.

Instinctively she tucked her injured leg behind her other one in an attempt to hide it.

The boy looked off to the side, not subtle about the shame that was plastered across his features.

"I just have to get into my suit." she said, blushing slightly. "Do you mind waiting?"

"No, take your time." he shrugged.

She walked into her room and walked back out a few minutes later, wearing her hero suit. She had to wear her spare because the hole on her pants from the fire still hadn't been fixed.

"I'm giving you another chance to change your mind." she said, closing the door behind her. "Run and hide now, if you want."

"I'm really sorry about your leg, Mei." he said, completely ignoring her comment. Looking up into her eyes, his eyebrows were slightly furrowed. "And thank you for fixing my mistake."