It's Tradition

"Mei, there's no point in butting heads with your grandparents about this now..." said Momo, sitting at her desk "the party is tonight."

Momo Yaoyorozu and Mei Shinomori had been best friends since they were toddlers.

Born to wealthy, high profile families, their friendship was a consequence of their lifestyle. The two girls had grown up together and had become inseparable.

"Come on, I can't be the only one who sees how insane this is!" said Mei, who was laying on Momo's bed with her head hanging upside-down from the edge.

"Its tradition." said Momo, matter-of-factly, while turning her chair around to continue her studying.

"Tradition? But your family isn't making you do it."

"Yeah, you're right. But it doesn't mean they won't eventually."

"You know they won't, because your parents are reasonable." Mei sat up straight and turned to look at her friend. "What are you even studying? School hasn't started yet."

"I want to be prepared. U.A. is the best hero school in Japan. Who knows what our first day will be like! You should be preparing as well."

"Nah. Besides, I have tonight's event to worry about right now."

"You don't have anything to worry about, Mei." Momo smirked. "I'm sure he won't bite."

Mei grabbed a pillow and threw it, hitting Momo straight in the face.

"Jokes don't suit you, Mo."

"Look, I know this kind of sucks." Momo stood up and walked towards her bed to sit beside Mei. "But despite what you think, your grandparents only want what's best for you. Maybe it won't even be that bad."

"How could it not be bad? An arranged marriage in the 21st century is insanity. And everyone knows quirk-marriages are disgusting." Mei made a face. "It's not what's best for me that they're worried about; it's what's best for the family name."

"Well, you always said you didn't care for dating. At least this way you don't have to worry about it because it will all be handled for you." Momo giggled.

Mei was about to throw another pillow, but Momo saw it coming and held her friend's arm.

"It's not just about dating - I never want to get married. You know that. Especially not to a stranger." said Mei.

"After tonight he won't be a stranger. Maybe he's nice! He also got into U.A. through recommendation, so he must be strong too."

"Yeah, big deal. My grandparents won't shut up about his quirk and how amazing it is. So vapid."

Mei stood up and walked to the centre of the room. She turned to face Momo and, using her finger as a pretend moustache, began to impersonate her grandfather:

"Mei, being promised to the Todoroki family is a great honour!" said the girl, faking an old man's voice. "Endeavour's youngest has a promising future and he is a perfect match for a Shinomori! I don't care about how you feel, you must shut your trap and behave so that we can offer you to them like a pretty gift!"

"Your grandfather did not say that." said Momo, crossing her arms.

"Okay, I may have exaggerated that last bit but it's basically what he said." Mei then face-planted onto the bed, letting out a growl of frustration.

Momo ran her hands through her friends hair to try and comfort her. She felt bad for Mei, but she also knew how important traditions were amongst families like theirs.