Bloodline

It was Saturday morning after the dinner party, and Mei was cocooned in bed.

She couldn't sleep after her nightmare woke her, and fear was grasping at her throat and making her suffocate.

A knock on the door made her sit up, and her mood didn't get any better when her grandmother popped her head inside.

"Mei, get up, it's late already." said Kaede Shinomori.

"Forgive me, grandmother, I didn't sleep well." Mei said, looking down.

"Don't think I didn't notice you leaving the party early, young lady. And taking the Todoroki boy with you."

"I'm sorry, ma'am, we were just--"

"I don't care what you were doing, but need I remind you about how important it is for you to keep things professional with that boy, Mei? You don't want him to end up like Nini, do you?!"

That name was like a stab to Mei's gut.

"N-no, no. Never, grandmother, I'm sorry."

"The wedding arrangement is strictly a means to an end, and that's how you must maintain the relationship between you two."

"Yes, ma'am. I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

When Kaede closed the door, Mei fell back into her bed.

A few minutes later, she felt her cellphone buzzing amidst the sheets.

"Hello?" she said, holding the phone up to her ear.

"Mei! Good morning." said Yaoyorozu.

"Hey, Mo."

"You don't sound too good, something wrong?"

"No, I'm fine. What's up?"

"I was packing for the camping trip on Monday, wanna come over and help me?"

Mei wasn't exactly in the mood, but she knew that if she stayed home she would have to hear her grandfather lecture her about the fact that she left the party early.

"Yeah sure. I'll be there in 10."

-————————

"What about this?" Momo asked, holding up a pair of shorts and a shirt together.

"Yeah, that's better." Mei nodded.

"Have you packed yet?"

"Nah, but I'll just do it tomorrow night."

"You're bound to forget something that way, Mei."

"Yeah, but that's why you always bring two of the important things." Mei smirked.

Momo rolled her eyes and threw the clothes at her friend, who folded them and put them in the carry-on bag.

"You never told me how it was with Todoroki last night." Momo pointed out.

"I-- He-- it was... fine." Mei remembered how her heart wanted to fly out of her chest into his arms when he read her his favourite passages from Hamlet.

Momo then burst into laughter.

"WHAT!?" Mei asked, embarrassed. "What's so funny?!"

"Oh god you should see your face, you're blushing so much! I swear Mei, before we got into U.A. I had never seen you blush. Now its like every time that boy-"

"Stop!" Mei interrupted her friend, while she covered her red cheeks with her hands. "Stop, that's not true!"

"Mei, time to stop playing games. You have a crush on Todoroki, don't you?"