Part 17

Check out my patreon please and thank you <3

https://patreon.com/user?u=82676528&utm_medium=clipboard_copy&utm_source=copyLink&utm_campaign=creatorshare_creator

Anime4us

Chapter 17:

Chifuyu's a little stressed to say the least. He's not quite sure what he's done to make her cry, but she's looking a lot smaller curled into his side. When they stand side by side, she's easily got a head of height on him. He's not jealous, just more conscious when she hides away from him. He hates when she cries. She's burrowed her face in his shoulder. They're back to sitting on his bed, both Yang and Pey out of sight. They're a lot like him when it comes to her crying; they don't want to see it.

"Are you going to tell me what's going through your head?" Chifuyu asks.

Her sobbing's stopped. She sniffles every now and then, and she has a death grip on his fingers that he's not too sure he wants to pull away from in fear of losing a finger or two. That and he doesn't mind, even when his fingers are going numb, the way their hands slide together like puzzle pieces.

"It's stupid." She mutters, sounding embarrassed.

Her voice is muffled by his shoulder, but the words are clear enough for him. He can't remember the last time she's cried this hard. Maybe it was in the hospital? But even then... she'd been crying tears of happiness. He doesn't want to know how it feels to watch someone you love laying in a hospital bed, unresponsive for days.

"I don't care what it is, I want you to talk to me about it." Chifuyu states, flexing his fingers for a second when her grip lessens.

As soon as the blood is flowing again, he slides his fingers back between hers. She's busying herself with rubbing the pad of her thumb on top of his. He doesn't mind the action, in fact, his heart thrives on it. He does have to wonder if the love she feels for him is the same that he feels for her. Maybe one day. He really hopes so. Maybe one day...

"I'm scared, Chifuyu..." she murmurs, making his heart clench in his chest. "I don't want to watch your heart monitor when you're stuck in a hospital bed." She continues, tears building in her bronze eyes again. "Every time you have 'something for Toman' you come back battered and I'm really scared that one day, it won't be something I can fix."

Chifuyu brushes under her eyes with his thumb, picking up the tears before they can fall. This girl, glued to his side and squeezing his hand... this girl who cries for his sake, for both the loss of his innocence and the fear of losing him... There's no doubt in his mind that he loves this girl.

"Listen to me." He says, dropping his hand from her cheek.

She follows the movement with her eyes, lingering on his hand as he presses it against the mattress. She's listening, but not meeting his gaze.

"I'm not going anywhere." He states, but she sighs, like she doesn't believe him. "Hey. I'm serious." He says, earning a scoff.

"Don't make promises you can't keep." She states, dropping his other hand.

Chifuyu feels miffed, and he immediately misses the warmth of her hand in his. He's also feeling a spike of annoyance at how easily she throws his words into his face.

"I can keep it, and I will." He asserts, his irritation getting the better of him.

"Don't promise me that, Chifuyu." She huffs.

"Why not?" He exasperates.

"Because you can't promise me nothing will happen to you." She states, rubbing at her face.