the runes

A week later I had to go to the bank again. This time we began to go over my accounts with a fine tooth comb. I ditched some investments, and took up others. While there I had him send of for all the soil I would need. Asking for a delivery in three weeks time. Having all the bulk seeds we needed already in storage. Once done I hurried home to my tutoring lesson with Griplock. After he agreed to go over the rune work necessary from making artificial day and night and the timed watering runes. We headed in and began putting paper runes up in the room where we would be carving them.

       Now to show you how to use scaffolding. Then I'll show you on these tablets how to carve the runes properly. Until you can do it right I will be carving the runes in here. For safety reasons." He told me I nodded my understanding. Paying close attention to everything he said. Watching as he set up the scaffolding. Then as he took it down. Only to have me put it back together. Stopping me only once when I almost missed a critical part to correct me.

        By the end of the day I knew scaffolding like the back of my hand. But was struggling to carve the rune properly. He coached me a lot. After our time was up he left and Papa had me help with the cleaning up the cave while he cooked dinner.

       The next morning I got up ate then went to study. About an hour into studying I grew board. Desiding to go collect firewood for the new kitchen I got up and went out with the axe Papa let me use for trees as thick as my fist. I had four trees downed to chop up when papa came over to me. "Cub when doing this have an adult with you to make sure your safe." I sighed at that but nodded.

       Going back to work I cut them to mostly even pieces. Then began to bundle them up with twine like Papa taught me to. Once all this was done I took two at a time up to the cave setting them in the doorway. After all 17 bundles had managed to be piled in one corner of the kitchen I made lunch in the main area. And sat down at the table waiting for Papa.

       "While your in lesson I'll cut some big wood for the new kitchen. We are having supper with the pack." Papa told me. My eyes going wide. Both excitement and worry warring in my head.

         Swallowing quickly before speaking. "Papa do you think they will like me? Is there a special place that I'm supposed to sit or do I just sit at the kids table or can I sit wherev..." I started rambling papa had leaned across the table and put his hand over my mouth. Telling me to be quiet. The happiness shown clearly in his eyes.

       "They will like you just fine cub. And you'll sit with me. If you get nervous you can even sit on my lap. Lady Narcissa Malfoy will be there with her husband tonight as well." He told me pulling his hand away. I looked down at the table. "What's the matter cub?"

       Fiddling with my fingers in nervousness I spoke softly. "They aren't wolf. Humans are bad. Can't trust them." After saying this I looked up at him. "Goblins are good and wolves are good but humans are all bad." I allowed my concern to clearly show on my face.

         He stated at me for several beats. As though unsure how to go about something. " Not all cub, but yes most are bad. But there are bad wolves out there. And bad goblins to. They are going to meet with you every weekend for two hours. You need to learn how to function among your own kind." By the end he had the do not argue with me voice.

       So I looked at the floor beneath me. "I'm not hungry anymore. Going for my lesson." I got up and left the room not giving him opportunity to argue. Once down in the harvest room I grabbed a tablet and began to trace the designated rune for practice.

      I was still struggling when Griplock came in and corrected me telling to make sure my strike would be precise and small. He spent an hour just coaching me before carrying on with the rooms runes.

      Ending our lesson early. He sat me down to talk. "Your Papa is right one day you will rejoin your race and go amongst others your age to a magic school. You will need to know how to cope amongst them." I frowned at him. Not having a good argument to go against him on it.

        When it was time to go eat with the pack I clung to Papa. Seeing the only seat near papa was next to Lucius Malfoy I sat on Papa's lap. And did my best to ignore him. Without being rude. Lucius did not make it easy by constantly aiming the conversation at the table towards me.

         Narcissa towards the end of the meal intervened since I had barely been able to eat. "Dear let the boy eat something. His foods long gone cold by this point." She had shot Lucius a dark look clearly displeased with his actually rude behavior. "Sorry young Emrys my husband is just very encouragble. Especially since finding out your not a wolf but only a foundling."

        I bowed my head pushing my plate away gently. "I don't feel good papa may I go home?" Her words having reminded me that I had no real connection to anyone. 'foundling.. ha. More like outsider.' "I'd like to go to bed." I knew I was showing weakness but I didn't care.

       " I hope nothing I said has caused this young Emrys." Narcissa said clearly concerned about me. I just stayed still waiting for Papa to give permission to leave.

     With a heavy sigh Papa answered. "If your really not feeling well then it's for the best." I nodded and got up. Moving a small distance away from people before I aperated straight into the cave. I threw up as soon as I landed. Due to being upset and not minding my magic flow while aperating. Without cleaning it up I crawled into my bed not something I did often.

         Sometime later while I was mumbling to myself about being an outsider. Papa came back. I saw him spell the vomit away. Then he sat next to me. "Cub your not an outsider your my cub always. If my wolf didn't recoil at the idea of biting you. I would turn you. So you wouldn't feel so left out and we could worry less. But my wolf refuses to do so." He tried to explain. But I was feeling rather delirious with exhaustion at the moment so I nearly reached out and took his hand.

     The next morning I came to the quick conclusion that I had managed to catch a cold. Because I was achy and sweating even when out in the chilly autumn air. And I couldn't retain breakfast at all. "Papa used the mailbox to cancel my lesson for the day and tucked me into bed with a heavy blanket.

     When I woke sometime later in the medical building at the pack area to Narcissa and Snape leaning over me I spazed. Magic going haywire. "No. Not going back. Papa. humans. bad. help." I didn't calm until papa was holding me rubbing my arms. "It's alright Cub Papa's here. You needed medicine they were just helping Papa. They won't take you from me." He told me softly.

      Being sick was awful. And I clung to Papa as often as I could. Especially when he took me to see Narcissa and Snape three days later. When I was just recovering from being ill. Though the fact I had torn Snape's glamour down and made his hair have blue edges all around was a source of amusement. When he had become very close while checking my eyes I couldn't resist but to touch his hair.

       Once back at the cave Papa asked me if I liked Snape better. Then I informed Papa that I remembered him holding my mum and crying when she died. And told him that I used to think he would come to find and rescue me. And how how I had thought he was my dad but when at the bank the first time I had learned that my dad was dead. All of which was only just me twisting things to make him believe I was unaware that I had been labeled their enemy. But still giving them the clues to figure it out.