Chapter 2

Kalen Davis

The mysterious man began visiting every day after that and it has been over two weeks now. He always made sure to stop by right after the first rush was gone, so he could chat with me for a moment before it got busy again. 

Just like the first day, I was always a blushing, fumbling mess. It was impossible to speak to him like a normal person, considering he lit my body on fire with only a look, a smile, or a word. Just like the first day, he always ordered a 'surprise', which meant I was working extra hard to impress him. 

He had yet to give me his name and I was too nervous to find out myself, figuring the appropriate timeframe to ask had passed. At least, I think it had. Truthfully I didn't want to know just yet. It was an excuse to leave from behind the counter and serve him face-to-face, instead of having him pick his order up at the counter. 

Besides, not knowing his name helped play into the 'bad boy' fantasy I had playing in my mind. Something Sarah was starting to pick up on and constantly teasing me about.

"What are you planning on creating him today?", she poked fun at me as soon as I was done taking the money from him. 

The shop was slower, which was out of the ordinary. Although, I was thankful for a small break after the past couple of busy weeks. The slow pace actually played in my favor today. After two weeks of serving our mysterious customer, I was starting to worry about having new recipes to impress him with. I had gone through all my ordinary recipes already that I usually kept stocked in the display case, so now I was truly having to put extra effort in. That's why this morning, I created a special surprise just for the man. A surprise Sarah was already aware of, considering she was in the shop this morning while I prepared and baked it.

"You know I can still fire you. It's not too late for me to hire someone else to work the register," I threatened half-heartedly. She only laughed, throwing her hair over her shoulder as she walked away from me.

"You wouldn't find anyone capable of outdoing me, Chef," she joked back.

I rolled my eyes in response but knew she was right. Sarah was an incredible asset to me at the cafe. Recently I even started training her on crafting the different beverages we offer, including the list of special options which change daily. Training her helped free up my time to focus on more important tasks. 

Like daydreaming about our newest, most mysterious regular, I thought to myself, blushing profusely.

I forced myself back down to Earth and started preparing what I had in store today for the 'surprise me' order. I decided to keep the drink this morning simple, opting for a hot latte. I then retrieved the freshly made coffee cake from the back room. 

When I moved to walk around the counter Sarah caught my attention. She asked if she could take one of her ten-minute breaks now and I allowed it.

While approaching, I noticed the man typing away at his phone, sprawled out comfortably in his usual seat. He wore a similar outfit to the one I met him in, but every time I saw the tattoos trailing up his neck and around his ear, I was in awe. The ones peaking from under the short hair on the side of his head must've hurt to have done. 

I could never imagine getting a tattoo, especially one that involved drilling into the side of my head. I assume those weren't even the most painful ones. He has tattoos covering every inch of his exposed skin. I could only imagine the ones hidden away from my curious eyes- and I have tried to imagine. 

My frequent daydreams fluttered across my train of thought, involving fingertips tracing ink and a tongue tracing skin, which left a rather deep blush plastered to my neck and face. I swear, I'll turn permanently red eventually because of this man.