Chapter 4

Kalen Davis

After I had agreed to the catering job, Sorren and I ended up spending more time together. Our mysterious customer would stop once the shop was closed instead of during his usual time though. The excuse was always that he was there for business, not pleasure, and stopping by once the café was closed gave us time to work on planning the event.

I was excited about the new opportunity, at least that's what I let myself believe. I looked forward to closing the shop each day, constantly searching for those crystal blue eyes, yearning for the man behind them.

The time we spent together had increased considerably compared to when I first met him. Only, it seemed Sorren was more distracted now than I'd ever seen him. His hair was always disheveled, from running his hands through it. I could see the rings of red and bags under his eyes. It was clear the stress of this important meeting was getting to him, and that only fueled my desire to perfect my part in it.

Over the days, Sorren occasionally let slip little details about his life and business. I noticed quickly that he wasn't always so keen on sharing. But I found that once I got a warm beverage and tasty treat in front of him, he relaxed on instinct.

So far, I've been able to piece together the clues to understand he is the boss of a very old family business, passed down through the generations. He came to the title after his father died, something Sorren is even less keen on talking about, so I don't pry. He's explained that this meeting will go down in history for his family, seeing as the guests will involve leaders of other powerful companies. Companies that are more powerful than his, with leaders that are more powerful than him.

Since Sorren hasn't been in charge of his own family business for that long, it seemed as though the other companies underestimated him. I could only assume it was due to his age and lack of experience. But, going by what Sorren has hinted at, it seems like he has been a part of his family business basically since birth. That helped me believe he was capable of a lot more than these other leaders are expecting.

Basically, this meeting is Sorren's first formal impression as a leader, and a lot hangs in the balance depending on the outcome. At least, that's what I've gathered.

The meeting takes place in less than an hour. I'm currently parked behind the massive tower Sorren calls his 'home office'. A rolling cart was kindly offered to me by one of the workers, so I loaded up the boxes of treats I spent all night creating.

I not only had to create the food for the meeting but also for the shop while I'm gone this morning. Sarah will be manning the station, with the help of a new hire I found shortly after I agreed to the catering job.

With the meeting taking place on the 12th floor, I smooshed myself and the cart into one of the maintenance elevators to make my way up to the correct floor. I was instructed that about 15 businessmen and women would be attending today's meeting. However, with the nerves of today, I created about double the serving amount of coffee and breakfast treats. 

To say I was overprepared was an understatement.

Once I stepped out of the elevator, a beautiful receptionist directed me to the correct office room to prepare my setup. It didn't take me long to set up all the platters and to-go containers of coffee. As I double-checked my work, I heard someone enter through the door behind me.

When I turned around, I was met with a pair of vibrant blue eyes, crinkled slightly from a soft smile. Sorren stood before me, more dashing than ever. His normal casual business suit was replaced with an all-black formal suit. My eyes slowly trailed down his body, taking in his newest appearance.

I followed the tattoos on his neck, cut short from his collar, which was pulled together with a shiny black tie. The waistcoat fit snuggly over his black dress shirt, covered by a perfectly tailored blazer. The shiny lapel chain caught my attention before Sorren began fidgeting with his sleeves.