Chapter 8

Sooooo, I'm back babes! 

I'm so sorry for the prolonged absence, as graduate school got very hectic and my mental health went down the drain for a minute. Anywho! I recently dislocated my knee over the weekend so I'm stuck in bed for the next couple of days, so what better time to focus back on the story? This is an unscheduled chapter, and I'd like to say sorry for not posting for a while, but going forward the chapters will be uploaded on Sundays once again! <3

Kalen Davis:

After the door closed behind Sorren, I sat against the window's ledge. My fingers ghosted over my lips. I was stunned. I never thought the day would come when I would get to kiss Sorren, let alone during this chaotic experience. An experience that still had me locked away in an unknown room at an unknown location.

I was barely able to wrap my head around the last 24 hours before a group of armed men stormed their way into the room. I felt a tremble in my hands, expecting myself to be gunned down by the men in front of me. 

"We're here to take you home," the man closest to me spoke softly yet authoritatively. I stared, wide-eyed, glancing between each one. 

They can't be serious. 

After all this, I was just...going home? What was the catch?

"If you'll be so kind as to follow me, there's a car waiting for you," the same man instructed. 

I closed my eyes tight, shaking my head. It had to be a prank. A cruel, unrelenting prank because what kind of world was I in where I was dragged to God knows where, locked away, and then suddenly freed?

When I didn't move from my position next to the window, the man moved closer, touching my arm. My eyes flew open and I jumped from the man's touch, putting as much distance between us as possible- which wasn't much considering the wall pressing against my back.

He bowed his head slightly, watching me through his eyelashes. As if I was a weak, corned animal. I took the time to survey the room around me, noticing a unanimous look of pity across every man's face as they watched me. 

It angered me. It angered me more than anything else that had happened over the last couple of hours.

I was not some weak, cornered animal. 

Okay, maybe I technically was cornered. But I refused to feel cornered any longer. I raised my hand to wave the man's pity away, glaring sternly in his direction. "I'm capable on my own," I tried to mimic his same authoritative voice from earlier.

Surprisingly a shadow of a smirk peaked over his lips as I pushed my way past him to walk towards the doorway. I passed the rest of the men as they stood waiting. I was completely clueless as to where we were heading or how to navigate the hallways of the massive house, yet I was a firm believer in faking it til I made it. 

I was going to have to do a lot of 'faking it' even if I wasn't completely sure I was going to 'make it'.

The group of men moved from my path, allowing me and the other man to pass without a word. Once in the hallway, the man I spoke with was at my side, smiling now. 

Without the chilling fear of death running down my spine, I was able to take in his appearance. He was younger than the other men who were surrounding us yet he seemed to be the one in charge at the moment. Only, his playful smile and the devilish glint in his eyes said he was anything but the authoritative figure he was probably expected to be.

"I can see now why Sorren is so affected by you," he stated casually. 

A laugh broke through me unexpectedly as I followed his lead, only one step behind him. His words took me off guard, which I'm sure he deliberately planned.