Chapter 10

**not edited

Sorren Donato:

For the first time in a long time, I felt joy. A genuine, real joy. The flowers I drove past on the street seemed brighter. The jammed traffic didn't spark a rage inside of me. The birds chirping away outside actually sounded nice for once. 

It felt like a fucking fairytale.

The kind of shit you hear about, but always wondered if it existed because how could someone like me ever deserve something like this?

How could I deserve him?

I don't. Plain and simple. I would never deserve him. He is too good for me. 

Yet, here I was heading to Kalen's apartment. After our discussion yesterday, by a stroke of luck that I dared not question, Kalen actually agreed to see me again. He agreed to go on a date with me. 

A date.

I couldn't remember the last time I'd been on one of those if I'm being honest.

Back in the day, before my father passed away, he and my mom were always trying to set me up with another beautiful daughter of another powerful friend of theirs. It was always a bust. Though they were nice ladies, being gay had an affinity to ruin those kinds of things. 

My father was never one to accept that fact though, instead determined to fix me. To make me the perfect son he wanted. No, that he needed.

As I neared the apartment, I pushed those thoughts from my head. I was meant to be joyful today. I didn't need all this past shit weighing me down, not now. Not when I had the chance to feel an ounce of normalcy in life.

Turning the last corner, Kalen's apartment came into view. Before I could park, Kalen was already standing on the curb outside the front doors, rocking on the balls of his heels in anticipation.

As I pulled to the curb, coming to a stop, I was able to take in Kalen's appearance. I stepped out of the vehicle to greet him, eying him from head to toe.

His hair was the same touselled perfection it also was, an effortless style. His eyes shown bright, which his wide, nervous smile mirrored. His outfit consisted of a white button-down, tucked into khakis, but I took the most interest in his thick coat. It was checked, with an array of different colors meshed together. 

This style was something I personally stayed far from, but on Kalen, it was extremely flattering. 

"Hi," the other man greeted me timidly, causing a smirk to pull at my lips.

"Hi there, bello."

When I offered my hand, his smaller fingers entwined with mine. I guided him from the curb towards the car, opening the passenger side door.

"Are you ready for an unforgettable night?"

The same habitual soft tint appeared on his cheeks. He avoided eye contact, opting to look at the vehicle in front of him.

"Any night with you would be unforgettable."

_________

We reached our intended destination, pulling up in front of the valet parking stand. Getting out, I rounded the vehicle to open the door for Kalen. In return, I received the largest grin from the man. The valet took the keys from my hand and I gently ushered Kalen towards the front doors.

"A restaurant?" Kalen enquired. 

He chewed his lip nervously, something of a habit for him, as we entered through the large glass doors of the building.