Chapter 12

**This is a direct continuation of chapter 11 so please read first before continuing**

Sorren Donato POV:

"What is this, Marco?"

The older man was no longer standing. Instead, he was sitting in front of me, hands resting on the arms of his chair, waiting patiently. 

"Intel..." he simply stated.

A wave of anger rolled through me and I slammed my fists on the desktop.

"Cut the bullshit," I yelled, exasperated by the childish antics of the grown man.

Across from the desk, Marco didn't flinch from the sudden burst of rage from me. He never did. Of all the people who worked for me, Marco was the only one unphased by my temper. He didn't fear me like all the others.

The large, open office sat quietly for a moment as Marco adjusted himself in his seat, reveling in the moment of my discomfort.

"I meant it when I said that boy isn't good for the business and since his presence affects the business, that, in turn, makes him my business," he emphasized.

Before I had the chance to argue, he continued, "And as your advisor, I would advise you to smarten up, get your head out of your ass, and focus on what really matters here and forget that boy exists before he really brings trouble down on our heads."

"You're not making any sense, Marco. Why would a transcript talking about a child's birthday, who just so happens to have the same name, mean that Kalen is 'bad news' or some kind of threat to the company?"

Marco chuckles softly to himself, shaking his head. It infuriated me further since he clearly had information that would piece everything together for me, but he was refusing to share.

"How much do you know about Kalen's past? About his parents?" he questioned.

I rolled my eyes, "clearly not as much as you, I'm gathering?" The other man raised his eyebrows and hummed in response. 

"I know that they are both dead, but that's really the gist of it. He mentioned his dad was gone a lot for work, but that he still spent a lot of time with both of them. He never mentioned anything further, and I wasn't going to make him more emotional by probing about his parents' deaths..."

Marco hummed again, tipping his head back to stare at the ceiling, causing me to roll my eyes yet again.

"Interesting, his father traveled, you say?" he hinted.

I closed the folder in front of me before picking it up to wave toward Marco.

"You're not trying to insinuate that this man is Kalen's father? What a far reach!" I exclaimed before chucking the file across the room. 

Papers spilled from the folder as it flew through the air, landing harshly against the hard floor. Gradually, the papers fluttered down to settle on the floor around it.

"The last names aren't even the same. You're suggesting that Kalen's family worked for the Donato business? That his father was some low-grade drug trafficker for us?"

"No."

"Good, because-"

"I'm suggesting that Kalen's father was a caporegime for your father, and he traveled frequently overseas to organize and manage a portion of the company's business. Romeo was no low-grade associate, he was a man to be feared and he was a viable asset to us then and still to this day. Romeo was the most vital aspect of our expansion outside the country."