Chapter 13

Kalen Davis:

Everything felt lighter when I opened my eyes the morning after the date with Sorren. It was easier to get out of bed. The walk to the cafe seemed quicker. The customers seemed friendlier, and they brought a smile to my face.

I felt content.

No, it was more than that.

I felt happy.

Something I had been missing since I last saw Sorren all those weeks ago- before we were forced to spend time apart.

When I opened the café the morning after our date, I knew there was a chance I was going to see Sorren. Not just that morning, but potentially every morning. It was possible that I would see him that day and the next day until hopefully, he was just always there.

Looking back, it was obvious now that I had built my hopes up sky-high because later that same day my hope came crashing down.

I had hoped to see Sorren shortly after opening, like our previous routine. That hope was diminished when Sorren hadn't shown up that day- or any day after.

I had been under the impression that our date went well and our normal routine would pick back up again. Sorren would stop by the café on his morning route to the office. I would get the chance to create some outlandish ensemble of coffee and treats that would impress him. We would flirt. We would laugh. I would turn into a living ball of fire from embarrassment and nerves. It would be nice.

I thought that routine would become our lives.

But as always, I was a child living a child's fantasy inside my head, delusional and confused.

I mean, strictly speaking, why would a man of Sorren's nature go for a guy like me? Our lives were drastically different. Our personalities were drastically different. Our interests were drastically different. 

We were different, period.

And I liked that. I liked the newness of it all. The excitement of it all. It was nice to have a break in my own routine.

But maybe, Sorren didn't like it? Maybe we were too different.

Maybe it was a turn-off, the way that I talked, blushed, and acted. Maybe I was a turn-off.

Either way, Sorren made his choice clear when he ghosted me for three weeks straight. He hasn't stopped by the café or the apartment since our date and I haven't received a text or call explaining his disappearance either.

I hadn't even seen his goons following me around the city or watching me at the café. Even now, as I pushed through the front door of my apartment building, I scanned the street for watchful eyes, to no avail.

I began my short walk to the café, still lost in thought about a certain blue-eyed man.

At first, I considered the possibility that something terrible had happened to him, given that his line of work was dangerous. There was a real possibility that he was hurt or worse, dead. 

Then, I decided that was unlikely since I hadn't heard from anyone in his organization.

I know we weren't anything serious or even labeled, but considering I met a good number of his employees, my existence was known by his men. If something had happened, surely I would have been notified.

So, all in all, message received. 

Sorren had lost interest in the baking boy. Or perhaps he feared for my safety and wanted to keep me safe from his kind of life? Part of me yearned for the latter, seeing as it meant he still had feelings for me. Feelings he wouldn't act on, but feelings all the same. If he was trying to keep me safe, then it meant he cared, right?