Chapter 15

Kalen Davis:

When I woke again, there was no more blinding light and my headache was gone. The curtains of the window were drawn, but even around the edges of the windows, there was darkness.

I must've slept until the night. 

The same silk sheets were wrapped around me, almost like a cocoon. It felt safe and warm.

You're not safe, my brain screamed.

I pushed the thought away as I surveyed my surroundings for the second time today. It was more difficult, considering there was limited lighting. The massive chandelier from earlier was off, only reflecting bits of light around me from another source further away.

I used what energy I had to push myself up into a sitting position, the silk sheets rolling off of me as I did so. I noticed I was wearing a hoodie, which I hadn't been wearing on my way to the cafe. So, it must have not been my own. I wondered briefly where it came from and when I put it on.

Again, I was aware of how massive the bed was, except this time I noticed the bedroom surrounding it was swimming with space too. This room alone was most likely to size of my entire apartment. Especially since directly across from me and the bed was an archway opening into another room, where the light was coming from. A step or two down from the bedroom was what looked like an en suite living room. 

There was soft noise flittering from the space, to where I am now. I could hear shuffling too, like a person was moving inside the other room. I decided now would be my best chance to leave. I didn't intend to stay in this room or house for long. 

I needed to get back home.

I slipped to the edge of the bed, pulling myself from the warm cocoon of fabric encasing me. My skin ran cold once my feet touched down on the hardwood floor beneath me. I tried my best to keep quiet as I moved from the bed in the center of the room, to the door I saw the older man leave out of earlier today. 

When I neared the door, a piece of hardwood creaked under my foot. Freezing in place, I bit hard on my lip, hoping the noise didn't bring the attention of the other person or persons in the adjacent room. After a moment, without any movement or noise, I decided the coast was clear.

My hand wrapped around the knob of the bedroom door, turning slowly to keep from making noise. I quietly pulled the door open.

"Going somewhere?" a voice mocked from in front of me. A tall figure was visible once the door was opened wide enough.

When I forced myself to look, it was a familiar face. The same face who freed me from captivity the last time. The same face from the corner of the café. A face that happened to hold a bright, carefree smile.

Shocked, I took multiple steps away from the doorway, backing away from Vance.

In the rush, I began tripping over my own feet. I could feel myself tipping back, falling, until my back was colliding with a solid surface behind me. Two arms came to wrap around my waist, holding me up steady.

"Shit," I cursed in defeat.

Vance took a step towards the door to grab the handle from his side.

"Sir," he respectfully acknowledged before tugging the door closed. At the last second, he sent a deliberate wink towards me, and I dramatically rolled my eyes in response.

Child, I internally taunted.

Once the door clicked close, I pushed from the grasp of the man behind me, turning around to face him. Seconds passed between us with no words exchanged. I crossed my arms in annoyance, peering up at Sorren in expectation.