Chapter 5

Kalen Davis:

I knew I had to get to Sorren.

Yet, a bald and very large man stood directly in front of me, blocking my only escape route.

Shit, shit, shit, I screamed, when did he get there?

Before I had time to conjure up a plan B, big baldy's hand gripped my bicep. His hands were much bigger than Sorren's and much rougher. He grasped my arm tight enough to form bruises. I whimpered softly from the pain, casting my eyes down to the ground to hopefully avoid angering the boulder of a human towering over me.

I could hear the short, fat man snicker behind me as if he had accomplished my capture single-handedly. "Seems we got ourselves a boy who wasn't taught any manners," he called out to the man holding me, who only grunted in response. "Ya mother never taught you any manners boy?"

When I didn't respond the Boulder shook me by my arm, causing me to flinch away, expecting a smack or hit that never came. "N-no, s-sir," I hiccuped out through my increasingly quicker breaths.

The man in the doorway stepped closer until he reached us, allowing me to notice the pistol he brandished. My hands clenched in fear, sweaty from the panic that was only settling deeper in my veins. 

Boulder pushed my body out away from his own, angling me so I'd be standing directly in front of the other man, but never letting go. Due to his shorter stature, we made eye contact even though I attempted to keep my head angled down.

"So, ya ma didn't teach you manners?" he repeated. My eyes grew wide as Boulder's other hand reached out to the back of my neck, shoving my head forward, coming inches away from the man in front of me. 

I shook my head feverishly until his eyes squinted in response. "I-I mean, yes, yes sir. My ma taught me m-manners...a-all sorts of manners!" I rambled on from nerves. "I promise, I didn't s-see anything- well, I mean...I did see s-something, but, but I don't know anything a-about what I saw! Please-"

The man cut me off by slapping his hand over my mouth. When I tried to rear back from him in surprise, Boulder's grip on the back of my neck locked me in place. I felt hot tears prickle at the edge of my eyes.

"Lesson number one, boy. Speak only when spoken to, and when spoken to by those above you, I suggest you keep it short and simple so as to not annoy the ever-living shit out of them. Your life may just depend on it. Understand?"

The back of my throat started to burn as I resisted the urge to cry, and I nodded solemnly in understanding. I questioned how I found myself in this position, held up by what seemed to be some very dangerous people.

I honestly wasn't even fully aware of what was going on behind that door. Sure, I saw some blood on the floor, but that didn't automatically rule it illegal. Only now, there was no denying the illegal nature of the situation I found myself wedged in between. The two men holding me in the hallway made that much clear just by their demeanor.

The shorter man looked at the man still hovering over me and popped an eyebrow in question. "You thinking what I'm thinking?" which was once again only met with a grunt in reply.

Just as I started to think Boulder might actually be more related to a boulder than a human, I saw a flash of movement at the side of my vision. Before I knew it, the man in front of me brought his gun up to bash me straight into the temple.

The last thing I remember is a blinding pain shooting through my skull as my legs gave out from under me. 

________