Epi 5 - The Roundup

The next morning was my favorite competition we did with each new group of rookies, it was the roundup. It was a long held tradition in the department, but for me, it was always a celebration of a time I couldn't get back. Last year when Isabel had essentially disappeared I thought I was never going to see her again. Since seeing her again, I had hope things would get better, that she would stop running and finally get help. 

I couldn't focus on that, so instead I looked forward to dominating this competition like I always do, plus I have Chen back. I don't have to run around with West anymore worrying about getting into a gunfight. 

I got to roll call early as I always do, so I took the podium while everyone else was filing in before Grey came in. "All right, settle down everyone," I settled the people already challenging me and making bets.

"Listen, everyone knows what today is, and I just want to say that Team Bradford is gonna dominante once again." I bragged. 

"Yeah, not this year blondie," Angela shouted.

I'm not blonde. 

A few of the other guys were still challenging me as I stepped down from the podium, flashed Chen a smirk, and took my seat next to Angela. Bishop joined us shortly after, then Grey entered. 

"All right, settle down." He said, on his way up to the podium. "Don't think I didn't see you up in my spot Bradford." He chastised me.

Grey took up his spot behind the podium and started the morning briefing. "So, I am aware that today is the day where our T.O. units typically compete for most arrests. Under no circumstances does the department endorse this."

Angela and I exchanged a look.

"Meaning... I don't want to hear about your points or strategy. Am I clear, Officer Bradford?" He asked, looking at me.

"Yes, sir. This job isn't about winning. It's about good policing and teamwork." I nodded dutifully.

"Good, now, on that note, stay safe and stay vigilant. You are dismissed." 

Everyone got up to leave and I met Chen in the hall. "We win at any cost." I stated clearly to her. 

She looked back up at me a little confused, "Oh, but Sergeant Grey just said-"

"He said he doesn't want to hear about it, which is different than saying don't do it. Now, the scoring is like football." I started telling her on the way to the supply desk to get our gear. "7 points for a felony arrest. 3 points for a misdemenor. Any questions?" I informed her.

"No, sir."

"Good." I nodded as we checked out our gear for the day. We started following Lopez and West, and Bishop and Nolan to the garage when I stopped us. 

"Hold up, Boot." She stopped suddenly and took a few steps back to meet me. "What?" she asked while the others loaded up and started to head out.

I grabbed the book I had wrapped and added to our bag. 

"What is that?" She asked, looking incredulous at the present in my hand.

"Insurance." I responded and started walking away to find dispatch.

Chen still had our gear so she dropped it back at the supply desk then caught up with me just as I was about to go into the dispatch office. I opened the door and spotted my target.