Epi 8 - Time of Death

Lopez and Bishop were talking at the bottom of the stairs when I approached them this morning.

"What's going on?" I asked, looking between the two. Bishop was smiling from ear to ear and Lopez was trying to look happy.

"Talia just got the tap," Lopez revealed, and Talia popped her hip out with a smile. Ah.

"No kidding, that's great." I congratulated her. Suddenly Talia was looking past me at what was happening in the garage. There Detective Wolfe and Sergeant Grey were escorting a prisoner. 

"What is she doing back here?" Talia asked when we all realized it was Isabel the detectives were bringing back. 

I stormed over to Grey as they moved her to holding. "What the hell is going on? They were supposed to hand her to the DA for prosecution." Where she would go to County for a few years and hopefully get the help she needed. 

Grey looked at me sympathetically, "Your wife made a deal to be a confidential informant." 

"What?"

"She has a lot of contacts on the street." He explained.

"Because she's a drug addict," I argued.

"With police training." He reasoned, his arms crossing over his chest.

"Which will get her killed if someone finds out." I pointed out.

"They won't let that happen. At least this way she stays out of prison."

Honestly, prison would probably be safer. 

Grey didn't give me a chance to speak on it further as he walked away to go do his job. I couldn't shake the feeling of darkness hanging over Isabel and the impending doom that was building. I couldn't do anything right now but get back to work, so that's what I did. 

___

It was later that morning when we were sitting in the shop and I was writing a report on the theft call we had just responded to. 

"You did the right thing, letting them find Isabel's drugs," Lucy spoke, the topic really coming out of nowhere.

I sharply inhaled and replied, "They weren't hers. She's in this situation because she let herself get taken advantage of."

"Do you really believe that?" Lucy asked. No, not really, but that was beside the point right now. 

Our box beeped then and she looked serious. "It's an officer-involved shooting. It's Nolan." She looked concerned. I chalked it up to them being close at the academy. I continued writing my report when a few minutes later dispatch called us back to the station. I.A. wanted to interview Lucy about Nolan, standard procedure. 

When we got back to the station we saw Nolan in Grey's office. He was already out of uniform and the investigation was already underway. I went to the breakroom while we waited. Chen was called in to do her interview, then West went after her. Lopez and I decided we might as well get lunch since we were at a good stopping point. 

The four of us went out to the food trucks and took our lunch break. Lopez and I were eating burritos when she said, "The Rooks were asking how they can help Nolan." You can't.

"I found heavy drinking really helped knock out the nightmares," I replied.

"Yeah, maybe keep that to yourself," Angela said. 

Bishop approached us in plain clothes. "Mm, Detective Talia, graces us with her presence." Angela greeted her.

"Yeah, it breaks my heart to see you out of uniform, you seem... shorter," I commented, leaning back in my chair.