Epi 3 - The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

The next morning I was in Grey's office, getting his official clearance to return to duty.

"How are you feeling today?" He asked, looking over my medical report.

"Good," I replied. He was still looking at my sheet so I added, "Everything okay with my green slip?"

"Yeah." He put it down. "You're medically cleared to return to duty, which means it's time for the 'so you got shot' speech." He explained getting up from his desk.

I uncrossed my arms and rested my hands on my hips as Grey approached.

"I only give it to officers wounded on the job," he said.

"Lucky me." I sighed.

"Yeah, lucky you. So, you came in this morning thinking everything goes back to normal now, that you can just flip a switch, and the trauma you have suffered will just go away."

I nodded in agreement because I had thought that. I had rebounded from plenty of other injuries. This was no different.

"It won't, but you're trying to muscle your way through. That's what I did." Grey said, sounding very fatherly.

I'm surprised. When did he get shot?

"Trust me it didn't go well," he continued.

"I didn't know you got shot," I said.

Grey nodded. "My last year on patrol. I spent 2 weeks in the ICU. Rushed back thinking I could put it all behind me, but it doesn't work that way," he replied.

"I promise, I'll take it slow." I nodded. I was fine. I just needed to get back to work. That was all.

"Okay." He said, trusting me.

Sensing I was dismissed I left Grey's office and went to roll call. The moment I stepped into the room everyone broke out in applause and started cheering, congratulating me on making it back. It was awkward. I just wanted things to go back to normal, but I put on a smile and shook a few hands to make everyone else feel better before getting to my seat. It looks like Lopez and Bishop left me a donut pillow as a joke and I promptly popped it with my pen causing everyone to laugh.

Sergeant Grey came in then and started settling everyone down to start our morning briefing.

"Let's get to it." He started. "You ready Officer Nolan? Once again, we start with you."

"I'm flattered?" Officer Nolan asked hesitantly.

Grey started passing around the info sheets.

"Don't be. Yesterday a four-man crew disguised as zombies knocked over a cash advance near Pico and Robertson. So, Officers Bishop and Nolan were able to apprehend two of the criminals while the other two escaped."

I received a copy of the info sheet and passed the others on to Lopez.

"Somehow, Officer Nolan managed to let a civilian steal 10 grand in already stolen cash. Luckily CCTV captured our thief. We're still waiting on ID." Grey informed us.

"Oh, he plays guitar if that helps." Nolan piped up.

"Absolutely," Grey said sarcastically looking at Nolan. "Because they always list special talents on your rap sheet."

Everyone chuckled. Just then Captain Anderson entered the room.

"Captain, Hi, how can we help you?" Grey greeted her.

She smiled. "First off, I wanted to welcome Tim Bradford back. If you need anything you let me know." She nodded at me.

I nodded in return. "Yes, ma'am."