Epi 1 - Impact

The darkness was comfortable, almost too comfortable. I tried to settle into it but I couldn't. Something was nagging me in the back of my mind. I could feel the world moving until we jerked to a sudden stop. Then a series of loud shots rang through the air and a body pressed to my chest. The scent of her triggered a flood of memories destroying the darkness. I reached out to grab her and suddenly came to...

The brightness hurt my eyes because I didn't have time to think about the pain and confusion stirring in my head. I heard several more shots being exchanged right outside of the ambulance where I had been abandoned. Chen was nowhere to be seen and it sounded like someone had been shot as there was all kinds of shouting happening just outside. I kicked the back door open, locked my eyes on the target, and shot her directly through the shoulder where then Nolan was able to tackle her to the ground. He then restrained her and called for help as I stepped down and out of the RA. 

"Suspect in custody!" Nolan shouted. "Doctor, I need some help over here!"

A gurney was rolled out to him as another nurse shouted back, "On it!" with a med bag ready to pack the wound until she got into surgery. Nolan let them take over and then approached me, his hands covered in the suspect's blood.

"You okay?" I asked, a pounding headache setting in. My entire body ached in ways I didn't know were possible.

"I should have reloaded on the move." He replied. "You?"

"I should have taken yesterday off," I said, reminiscing on how terrible the last 24 really have been.

With the third and final terrorist apprehended, I was able to go about the rest of my 24-hour observation period in relative peace. I was however informed that I was taking 2 weeks off for administrative leave. All the rookie T.O. teams were granted that privilege and I think it was because of the 6-month exams and my exposure to a deadly virus. 

The why didn't really matter, I could use a little break. I needed to get my shit straight. My feelings for Lucy could never happen which is why whatever happened between us in that quarantine house will never be spoken of ever again. 

I was looking forward to some time and space away from Lucy Chen, so why was she sending me food with cute notes? The first time she knocked I almost opened the door and invited her in but that was the worst idea in the world, so in my panic, I ignored her until she left the package in her hand on my doorstep with an unreasonably cute note about getting well soon. From there for a week straight she left 1 meal a day on my doorstep. 

And every meal she left made me like her more. I was so frustrated and pissed with myself. I was supposed to be working on liking her less and it was getting worse. By the time we returned to work I was mad at her. All of this was her fault and I was determined to remind her that we weren't friends or anything else. She was my rookie and that was it. Nolan and West may be her friends, but I was not. 

Which might have explained why I was in a shit mood this morning. I was in roll call early as usual and the moment Chen walked in she spotted me and lit up. She immediately walked over with a big grin on her face.

"How are you feeling?" She asked.

My arms were crossed over my chest, my muscles tight. I felt my jaw tick as I restrained a dark glare at her. 

"Ready to get back to it," I replied tensely. I was banking on work being distracting enough that we could get back to how things should be. Me, the most hated T.O., and her, the most sympathetic rookie.