Epi 11 - Redwood

When I came in for roll call that morning the conference room was already full. Everyone else filed in, most of us standing. 

"Thank you for coming in on your day off. The VP is making an unscheduled visit to our city. So it's all hands on deck. Agent Danvers," The captain handed the briefing over to the secret service agent managing this visit.

"Thank you, Captain. As always the secret service appreciates the LAPD's assistance in clearing and securing Redwood's route. These are your operational plan manuals. Each officer's name has been listed under a specific quadrant and zone. Along with your responsibilities. Your watch commander will liason with me throughout the day as issues arise." Agent Danvers explained while West was texting. I rolled my eyes, eternally and forever grateful that I got Chen as a rookie, she was by far the best of the three. 

"I'm sorry," Grey interrupted. "Officer West, is there something you want to share with the group?"

"Um, no, sir, uh..." He stumbled on his words, "I'm sorry. I just, uh- I had plans I needed to cancel."

I couldn't imagine what West could have planned that was so important that he couldn't wait until after the briefing was over. 

"So did everyone here, yet they are paying attention," Grey said sternly.

"Yes, sir." West nodded and put his phone away finally.

"These assignments are your sole priority today. You will not field calls from dispatch. Let the day shift deal with that. Captain?"

"Most of you know the drill. For our rookies, today is going to be ugly. Everything we do to ensure the safety of Redwood will create gridlock. It's important to be patient and vigilant. That's all. You're dismissed." Captain Anderson said.

With manuals in hand, we all made our way to the supply desk before heading out. 

"I don't get all the fuss. It seems like we are getting handed a day of overtime just to close roads and hang signs." Chen said as we got in line for the desk.

Angela spoke from behind us, "We're literally creating traffic jams during rush hour on purpose."

"Everything we do today is going to piss someone off," I added as we stepped up to the desk.

"Quadrant 1," I said.

"Quadrant 2," Angela said. Nolan and Bishop were on special assignment and would likely join our ranks later. 

"I mean, we deal with angry people every shift, but a day of OT means I can finally fix the air conditioning on my car." She gushed with a smile until she looked over at my deadpan reaction. "What?"

"Air conditioning makes you soft. You gotta get comfortable with being uncomfortable. That's the job." I replied.

"Is he serious?" West asked Chen.

"As a heart attack, Boot. Which, I gotta say, you almost gave the Watch Commander back there." I said and the supply officer started dumping our supplies in front of us.

Angela spoke then, "Seriously, Playing with your phone during a briefing is a cardinal sin."

"I-I lost focus." West stuttered out.

"I only hope you were canceling something important because Grey won't forget that for a while." Angela pointed out.

"Just, uh, breakfast with my mom." He answered. Really, that's what was so important?

Supply finished delivering our stuff when Chen spoke, "Is this all for us?"

"Yep. Extra road flares for the uptick in accidents. Extra ticket books for the increase in idiots." I said, adding stuff to our bags.