Epi 13 - Caught Stealing

We were working the night shift this week. Rookies had to put in so many night-shift hours which meant I also had to work those hours. I didn't really mind. Work was work, and night shift came with premium pay. 

It was about 2200 and Chen was starting to yawn pretty consistently. I was working on a crossword in my free time to keep my mind active and sharp. 

"You didn't nap, did you?" I asked her as I was filling in another word. It was a habit I picked up in the army. Working odd shifts and staying up through late boring hours meant finding something to do to keep you engaged. Puzzles were engaging. 

"I didn't have time. I've got to find a new place to live," she complained stifling another yawn.

I shook my head. "No excuse, Boot. Napping is key to Midnight Shift. No shorter than 20 minutes, no longer than 40. But, hey, if your comfortable ignoring my institutional wisdom..." I shrugged my shoulders. 

She looked over at me, offended. "I'm getting evicted."

"And whose fault is that?" I shot back at her. Don't get snippy with me. I'm not the one evicting you.

"Not mine. They're turning my building into condos." She explained with another yawn. 

I sighed. "That's what happens when you gentrify a working-class neighborhood. People like you get screwed over and left holding the bag." I looked over and saw that her eyes were closed. I was almost done with my puzzle so I gave her until it was completed to nap.

Once I was done and sure she was out, I pulled out my phone and snapped a couple of photos, saving a few for myself, and sent a group text to the night shift.

>>>Boot's first time sleeping on the job. 😂

About five minutes later everyone nearby had arrived at our location and the car was lit up and she was still asleep. I originally wasn't going to make a big deal of this, but at this point, it was a Midnight Shift rite of passage and she did this to herself. I might as well indulge. Everyone was laughing and sharing their own falling asleep on nightshift stories, snapping some photos, and taking a video or two to document her moment. 

She was finally starting to rouse when I spoke loudly from outside the car, "Welcome to Midnight Shift, Officer Chen!" I smirked at her. A few people including myself snapped a few photos of her waking up and realizing what happened. She protested for a minute before giving in and realizing the depth of her mistake. If only she really knew. 

I have the best idea ever.

After a few minutes of night shift heckling her, everyone dispersed and went back to work. I got back in the car next to her, smiling and thoroughly enjoying the moment. Every rookie falls asleep on night shift and she followed suit just like I knew she would. Hopefully, this would be enough to teach her to listen when I say napping is key, and to learn to control when to sleep and for how long. 

She had it easy and didn't even know how easy she had it. I had to learn while at war. She on the other hand had me. I was her safety net. 

"That was so mean," she complained to me.

"I didn't do anything," I smirked.

"You told them I was asleep and made me a spectacle," she accused me.

I nodded. "I did tell them you fell asleep on the job, but you are the one that fell asleep and stayed asleep as every single one of them arrived, got out of their shops, started talking, and were hanging out. You stayed asleep until I finally woke you up."