Epi 7 - The Ride Along

The next week we finally got to do something fun for a change.

"At 11:15 this morning," Anderson announced at the podium with lights and cameras flashing, "The LAPD engaged in a pursuit of the number one on the FBI's most wanted list. All departmental resources were brought to bear on this dangerous fugitive, including our most decorated officer, Kaydance Patton." Anderson said, as Kaydance, the little girl, walked down the red carpet that was laid out for her, everyone clapping and congratulating her on her arrest, walking a cuffed Nolan beside her. I told her good job on her way by, then looked across the carpet to see Lucy smiling and congratulating her next. The big giddy smile on Kaydance's face was worth it.

"On behalf of Make-a-Wish, the city of Los Angeles, and the LAPD, we hereby thank Honorary Police Officer Kaydance Patton." Anderson finished the fake press conference and we all start cheering again, then the press stepped in to take photos of Kaydance with the Captain, Nolan sticking his head in a few before Grey pulled him back. It was nice to do something a bit more light-hearted since lately, things had been so tense, I just wanted to get back to normal. Today was a good stepping stone to getting there. Once the crowd dispersed, Patrol met in the conference room for roll call.

Lucy was sitting in her usual spot laughing about something with West as Nolan took his seat. Meanwhile, Angela was telling me about how cute she thought Kaydance was, and I agreed with her. She was just a kid with a lot of life left to live, and it just reminded me how much I had wanted kids, and how much it felt like that was never going to happen. I shook the thought from my mind when Grey came in and started the briefing.

"Alright, take your seats," Grey said as he took the podium. "Today is a special day here at Mid-Wilshire. In fact, we are going to start off by playing a game I like to call, 'What is a patrol officer's least favorite assignment?' Officer Lopez, why don't you get us started." Grey looked at her.

"Easy, guarding a dead body." She answered. That was on my list.

"Solid one. Officer Bradford?" He asked me next.

"Canvassing in the rain." I hated being stuck in wet clothes all day.

"Bishop?" Grey asked with a nod.

"Driving the drunk wagon. It's just nasty," she replied. Agreed.

"Without a doubt. And, yet, for me, the absolute worst is..." Grey trailed as he walked to the whiteboard and wrote VIP. "The VIP ride along."

Everyone groaned. VIP ride-alongs were particularly the worst kind of ride-along.

"Why? That sounds like fun." Nolan suddenly said, and I was so thankful to have Lucy as my rookie. Time and time again she proved to be the best one of the three.

Grey looked to Bishop with sympathy. "Officer Bishop, would you like to inform your boot why the VIP ride-along tops my list?"

She nodded, "Because if anything happens to your VIP, it's your ass. So you take the lowest of low-risk calls. It makes a 12-hour shift feel twice as long," she explained.

Again, so thankful. Riding with Lucy was enjoyable, and the shifts often flew by with her.

"Plus you're trapped in a car all day with an entitled prima donna coated in body spray," I added, recalling from memory my first VIP ride-along. I thought I was going to suffocate with the amount of overwhelming body spray she used.

"Officer Nolan, you want to take a guess as to why we're playing this game?" Grey asked.

"Because you're giving me the VIP ride-along?" Nolan replied.

"No," Grey said, and I tensed.

"Really?" Nolan asked, surprised.

"No. You absolutely got the ride along," Grey said and I relaxed. A few people laughed at Grey and Nolan's banter. "He's waiting in the Captain's office for you now."